Unescorted Cycle Tour 8 days (extend your stay in Vienna and explore the vibrant culture and imperial palaces)
A gentle self-guided cycle ride along the River Danube, suitable for all fitness levels with comfortable bikes and a flexible itinerary.
Opulent cathedrals, monasteries and castles characterise the picturesque landscapes along the river Danube from Passau to Vienna. Beginning beside the German/Austrian border at the city of Passau, you navigate the easy route through the countryside nearly always right beside the River Danube before reaching the imperial city of Vienna.
|To book the Passau to Vienna Unescorted Cycle Tour, please call our reservations team on 01483 79 11 11. See our other Unescorted Cycle Tour – Vienna to Budapest.|
Arrival at Munich. Transfer to Passau by train and explore this beautiful city and collect your rental bike.
39km – Start your cycle adventure with a river cruise in Passau and then cycle to the famous Danube loop, the Schlögener Schlinge.
53km Create your own route with a choice of a stunning cycle ride to Linz (53km) or simply to Aschach (27km) where the Danube ship awaits (2 hrs to Linz). Those arriving to Passau on Saturday will instead travel by train from Ottensheim to Linz (50 mins).
96km Choose to cycle along the banks of the Danube the distance to Maria Taferl (96km) or travel by train to Dornach (1hr) and cycle the rest of the way (37km).
16km Rest your legs today with a short return cycle ride to visit Castle Artstetten. Once a summer retreat for the Imperial Habsburg family and the last resting place of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the Austro-Hungarian Empire who was assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914.
50km Cycle to the historic town of Melk (23km) and through the stunning winegrowing region of Wachau, an outstanding example of a riverside landscape. Embark on the Danube ship to Dürnstein (75 min) and continue to Krems, one of Austria’s oldest historic cities and UNESCO World Heritage site (7km).
53km Conclude the tour with a cycle to Greifenstein, a suburb of Vienna. Leave your bike here and travel by train to central Vienna.
Departure or additional nights in Vienna.
Departure dates & prices for 2019
- Flights depart daily between May - Sep
- Prices from £869 per person based on 2 adults
- Room upgrades and single/sole occupancy rooms are available at a supplement
- Return flights into Munich from the UK daily and out of Vienna
- Transfers from Munich to Passau 3 hrs by train (train ticket included and collected locally)
- Return from Vienna Airport: Vienna city to airport 1 hr by train or shuttle bus payable locally approx €8 per person
- 3 & 4 star hotel accommodation for 7 nights on a bed/breakfast basis at hotels stated below*
- Bike hire for 7 days (21 gear freewheel bike with saddle bag)
- Detailed map & route description in English
- Telephone assistance throughout the tour
- Luggage service
- Danube boat trips (bike transport included)
- Return trip on the Pöstling mountain railway
- Train journey from Linz to Dornach
*Bring your own bike (deduct £50 from package price, but carriage supplement may apply). For guests taller than 1.90m or shorter than 1.60m, please notify us at time of booking. Credit card needed for local security deposit for optional upgraded E-bike or bike accessories.
- Upgrade to E-bike hire (21 gears): Adult £84 / Child £42
- Helmet approx. €32 (available in Passau & Vienna)
- Half board upgrade 3 course evening meals, may be at a nearby restaurant
- Extend your stay in Vienna
In case of bad weather or fatigue, guests may shorten the tour and spend the remaining days in Vienna (by notifying our agent by 3pm the day before). Cost of train ticket from Griefenstein to Vienna extra, approx. €5 per person.
- Passau IBB Hotel Passau
- Schlögen Hotel Donauschlinge
- Linz Hotel Arcotel Nike
- Maria Taferl Hotel Rose (2 nights)
- Krems Hotel Klingelhuber
- Vienna NH Danube City
*Hotels are subject to change and will always be of the same standard.
Departure flights to Munich from:
- • Gatwick, Heathrow & Manchester
- • Flight supplements may apply
"Stops in towns and villages were interspersed with long stretches of leisurely cycling, where we'd see swans and geese flying low over the still, morning water and exclaim at the herds of deer grazing in lush pastures."
- Ms Jeannine Williamson, Freelance travel writer
"This cycling holiday was excellent, and the transporting of the luggage was very well organised."
- Mrs Broad
"We spent 6 glorious days cycling and added on a couple of extra nights in the wonderful city of Vienna. The information provided before and during the holiday was very thorough. The maps were excellent, it was great having the additional information in the map pointing out places of interest along the way - we stopped at several monuments, castles etc which enhanced our visit."
- Mr Hewett