Discover the best of Lake Constance on this private tour to the diverse gardens of this beautiful lake region and uncover the unique history of its castles and palaces. Travelling as part of a small group with a Guide throughout and a choice of accommodation, the cultural treasures will be laid bare including the adolescent home of Napoleon III at Arenenberg castle, the sculptured labyrinth of the Salem former monastery and the magnificent ‘Flower Island of Mainau’, considered by many as home of Germany’s most impressive array of floral displays.
|To book the Castles & Gardens of Lake Constance tour, please call our reservations team on 01483 791 111|
Day 1 | Wednesday:
Fly to Zurich and transfer by train to Constance (1½ hours). A car will be waiting to pick you up at Constance station to transfer you to your hotel.
Day 2 | Thursday:
Enjoy a short guided tour of Constance Old Town and in the afternoon we take a scenic boat trip to Meersburg for the chance to visit the Old Castle, as well as the New Castle with its vineyards.
Day 3 | Friday:
Travel back in time to the Late Bronze Age with a visit to the UNESCO site ‘Village on Stilts’ at Unteruhldingen, a sunken settlement found by divers in 1864. We’ll continue to Salem Castle to discover its French-style baroque gardens and vineyard, where we’ll learn about some of the local wines and enjoy a session of wine tasting.
Day 4 | Saturday:
Free day at leisure. Perhaps explore the UNESCO Island of Reichenau or visit the Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen, all free on your travel pass.
Day 5 | Sunday:
A pleasant train journey brings us to Charterhouse Ittingen for a tour of the chapel and gardens. From here we travel to Mannenbach on the Swiss side of the lake, we’ll take a short walk to the Park & Castle Arenenberg where there will be time to explore the adolescent home of Napoleon III followed by a guided tour of the beautifully landscaped garden and grassy labyrinth.
Day 6 | Monday:
Free day at leisure - visit one of the 160 regional attractions included on your Lake Constance Regional Pass, your Guide will help with suggestions.
Day 7 | Tuesday:
Our final day sees us visit the garden highlights of the region and spectacular ‘Flower Island of Mainau’ where you're free to explore its impressive floral displays. Learn of the Island’s history and discover its 13th century baroque palace, a palm house and the biggest butterfly house in Germany.
Day 8 | Wednesday:
Transfer to Zurich airport (1½ hours) for your return home or extend your stay in Constance.
Departure dates & prices for 2019
- Departing Wednesday for 7 nights
- Prices from £1,269 per person for standard accommodation
- Prices from £1,539 per person for superior accommodation
- Single rooms available with a supplement
Departure dates for Summer 2020
- Departing Wednesday for 7 nights on 27 May, 17 June, 9 September
- 7-day 'Bodensee Card Plus' card with 4 days unlimited travel on the White Fleet lake steamers
- Visit to UNESCO 'Village on Stilts' with insights in the Stone and Bronze Age
- Guided tour of Constance Old Town with its historical twisting alleyways
- Guided tour of Arenenberg's Medieval Garden and time to discover Emperor Napoleon III home
- Guided tour of Ittignen Charterhouse, a historic Carthusian Monastery
- Guided tour of & wine tasting at Salem Castle - one of Lake Constance's most important cultural heritage sites
- Entrance to the 'Flower Island' of Mainau and butterfly house
- Experienced Inghams Tour Guide throughout
- Standard accommodation: Hotel Barbarossa ★★★ superior
A characterful family-run hotel set on the cobbled streets of Constance's old town
- Superior accommodation: Steigenberger Inselhotel ★★★★★
A former Dominican monastery with original cloisters in place set by the lakeside just 3 minutes walk from Constance's old town
Departure flights from:
- Gatwick, Birmingham, Manchester & Stansted
- Flight supplements may apply
|To book the Castles & Gardens of Lake Constance tour, please call our reservations team on 01483 79 11 11|