Discover the highlights of the Cinque Terre and Portofino on this fantastic self-guided tour that offers a great introduction to Liguria. You'll be based in the charming seaside town of Rapallo, which is the perfect base for exploring. Visit the five coastal villages that make up Italy's most well-known UNESCO World Site, enjoy wine tasting, a local dinner and some free time people-watching in Portofino.
|To book this self-guided tour of the Cinque Terre, please call our reservations team on 01483 791 111|
Day 1: You'll be based in Rapallo for the next four days, one of the best known towns on the Italian Riviera. Famed for its incredible architecture and historical sites, here you will be able to take in the incredible Sanctuary of Our Lady of Montallegro and the Castello di Rapallo, a 16th century fortress balanced on the waterfront. After checking in to your hotel, you will have the opportunity to explore this gorgeous town on your own time and enjoy dinner on the harbour at one of the local restaurants (local charges apply).
Day 2: Breakfast is served at the Hotel Europa offering both a hot and cold buffet before you set off for a day of exploring the wonders of the Cinque Terre. Using your Cinque Terre rail card, you will travel to Monterosso al Mare and weave your way through the cobbled lanes of the seaside village. From there, you will travel through the remaining four villages of Vernazza (famous for its fishing and olive oil), Corniglia (perched high on the rocks and surrounded by vineyards), Manarola (whose local wine ‘Sciacchetra’ boasts a recipe not changed from Roman times) and Riomaggiore (whose mountains hide the Via dell’Amore – a 1km long pedestrian street overlooking the sea, which historically allowed lovers from both regions to meet).
Day 3: After breakfast, take a leisurely stroll to port of Rapallo where you can take the boat to the world renowned resort of Portofino. Loved by film stars and poetics alike, Portofino boasts some of the very best boutique shopping, art galleries and coffee shops Italy has to offer. You are the master of your own time on this day of leisure so once you have taken in the sites, you can begin your ascent to Faro di Portofino, the scenic Roman lighthouse perched high amongst the Mediterranean pine forest. Be sure to order a well-deserved glass of Aperol Spritz or Sciacchetra – the white wine for which the region of Liguria is famed. Afterwards, you can take an optional excursion by boat to the Abbey of San Fruttuoso and explore this remarkable 10th century church, teeming with history. Return to Rapallo by boat and make your way back to the Hotel Europa.
Day 4: Enjoy your last morning in Italy with breakfast at the Hotel Europa once more before your transfer back to the airport for your return flight to the UK.
2019 Departure dates & prices
- Any day departure (subject to availability)
- Prices from £445.00 per person based on 4* accommodation
- 3 nights on bed and breakfast basis at the four star Hotel Europa on a bed & breakfast basis
- Cinque Terre rail card, entry tickets for the Cinque Terre National Park and boat transfers to Portofino
- Information material and detailed maps of the area
- A wine tasting experience
- A local dinner of typical Ligurian cuisine at a local restaurant - please note drinks are not included
- The Hotel Europa is a four star hotel in the heart of Rapallo, just in front of the castle and a few metres from the sandy beach and historic centre. The property dates back to 1877 and has a lovely wellness centre, restaurant serving traditional cuisine and a well-equipped bar. Guest rooms are finished in a modern style combining designer furniture with antique pieces and equipped with air conditioning, TV, minibar, safe and hairdryer.
|To book this self-guided tour of the Cinque Terre, please call our reservations team on 01483 79 11 11|