Ideal as a taste of this beautiful country for those wishing to explore independently. Starting in Bergen with its famous harbour and UNESCO Bryggen Wharf, you’ll have time to explore this vibrant city known as the ‘Gateway of the Fjords’ and with its museums and reputation as a culinary centre, before transferring by scenic express boat to the serene fjordside village of Balestrand on the Sognefjord. Here you can enjoy a memorable day trip to Flåm and the famous rack railway to Myrdal, explore deeper into the Sognefjord or visit the impressive arms of the Jøestedal glacier before returning to Bergen for your flight home.
|2020 Departures on sale now!|
- Scenic return coastal express boat from Bergen to Balestrand
- Explore the UNESCO Bryggen Wharf
- See Bergen from above by taking a trip on the Fløiban Funicular
- Discover Balestrand and the surrounding Sognefjord
Day 1: UK to Bergen
Fly to Bergen and transfer to your hotel. You will have 2 or 3 days to explore Bergen's most famous sights such as the Fishmarket, Bryggen museum, Floiban funicular and Edvard Grieg’s house. Your stay here is based on Bed & Breakfast so you will have opportunity to sample some of the superb cuisine on offer. All of our hotels are in central locations with restaurants and bars on your doorstep. There are also several options to explore further into the fjords with a cruise south to Mostraumen or a day trip into the idyllic Hardangerfjord.
Days 4 or 5: Bergen to Balestrand
Today, you will take the scenic express boat along the fjord coast to Balestrand. The comfortable express boat means you can sit back and relax admiring the coastal scenery and provides a great alternative to the usual transfers by road. Balestrand is an idyllic spot located on the edge of the Sognefjord. Although cruise ships pass here, they do not stop, allowing the village to retain its traditional and peaceful atmosphere - it really does feel like you are experiencing the real fjord Norway. Exploring the Sognefjord is easy during the day by the boats and buses to the Jøstedal glacier or to Flåm, to connect with the famous railway (Flåm railway posisble from Balestrand Monday-Friday only). Alternatively, explore by foot or bike on the local trails.
Day 8: Balestrand to UK
Return to Bergen via the morning express boat departure and taxi/minibus back to Bergen Airport for your flight back to UK. Guests on evening flights from Bergen will have some time in Bergen centre before their airport pick-up (luggage storage available at Bergen harbour for a small charge of approx. 60NOK, pay locally).
- Return flights from the UK
- Return transfers to and from the Bergen airport to Bergen centre
- Scenic return transfer by 4-hour coastal express boat from Bergen to Balestrand
- Accommodation with private facilities throughout
- Half board meals included in Balestrand Superior Hotel
- Bed & Breakfast in Bergen and Standard Balestrand Hotel
- 'Meet & Greet' service throughout your stay, with a welcome to the resort and 24/7 phone service
Your holiday excludes:
- Any extras, drinks, gratuities and personal expenses
Monday departures = 4 nights Bergen; 3 nights Balestrand
Friday departures = 3 nights Bergen; 4 nights Balestrand
- Any Monday or Friday throughout summer