St. Gilgen holidays take you to the spectacular north-western shores of Lake Wolfgang in Austria. Famous for its association with Mozart, historic St. Gilgen is full of Baroque and Rococo character with colorful streets lined with cafés, shops and old frescoed houses that lead to the onion-domed church. Please see below for information about St. Gilgen hotels.
Things to do in resort
- Lake-side lido for swimming and rowing boat/pedalo hire
- Famous Mozart’s House’ museum
- Watersports including sailing, water-skiing and wind-surfing
- Steamboat and ferry trips to St Wolfgang
- Cycling, mountain biking
- E-bike hire
- Horse & carriage rides
- Heritage and Musical instrument museum
The pretty lakeside promenade is ideal for gentle walks and fantastic views across to the Schafberg mountain railway, while St. Wolfgang is only a boat ride away. There are spectacular views from the top of the Zwölferhorn cable-car and walkers will enjoy the panorama path around the top. Various excursions are offered from St. Gilgen, Austria, including nearby Salzburg and the picturesque village of Hallstatt.
St Gilgen to Furberg 1h / Easy
One of the prettiest sections around the lake is from St Gilgen to Furberg (1 hour), with a lovely inlet and restaurant in Furberg. Walk up from Winkl from here to the Huttenstein castle and the Gut Aich monastery. A ferry departs from Furberg back to St Gilgen.
- Home of Mozart, there is an open-air music pavilion in the village centre which hosts regular classical, folklore and brass band concerts
- The annual village ‘Dorf Fest’ (approx. second week in June) is the biggest festival of the year with traditional live entertainment, music, beer tents and food stalls.
Car hire is available
Parking is available
Local bus service is available
Location in resort
- Longitude: 13.363944
- Latitude: 47.767243
For more information on travel and transport visit our St. Gilgen page