Travel Advice

When you're going on holiday, ensuring you are fully informed on all documentation requirements and health matters and making sure you have all bases covered in your trip organisation can smooth your journey and make for a much more enjoyable trip.


Please note, external site links will open in a new window.

Medical Treatment - Reciprocal agreements exist in the EC enabling citizens of member countries to receive some free medical treatment on production of an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Application forms are available form the Post Office or Department of Health. You can also apply online for the EHIC. We highly recommend taking out further medical insurance and not relying exclusively on these arrangements since they may not be very comprehensive plus do not cover any insurance matters outside of health.

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office Travel Advice Unit may have issued information about your holiday destination. You are advised to check the FCO website for the latest advice. You might also like to read through their range of special-interest pages for different types of travellers who may need different types of advice.

Alternatively, the ABTA Information Department is pleased to offer advice on travel related subjects and can verify ABTA membership details. Calls are charged at 50p per minute between 9am and 5.30pm: 0901 201 50 50 (UK Callers Only). ABTA is the UK's Premier Trade Association for Tour Operators and Travel Agents. ABTA's main aims are to maintain high standards of trading practice for the benefit of its Members, the travel industry at large, and the consumers that they serve.

Passports & Visas (The United Kingdom Passport Service)
It is your responsibility to be in possession of a valid passport and any visa that may be necessary. If you hold a Commonwealth or non-British passport, please check visa regulations with the embassy or consulate of the country you will be visiting. You should allow ample time when making visa applications and check for any changes in visa/passport requirements that a country may make at any time. At the time of publishing this information on the website, you do not need a visa for any destination, provided you have a British passport and usually an onward/return ticket.

Please refer to the Department of Health for up to date advice on immunisations required and advised for travel abroad.

Know Before You Go
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s 'Know Before You Go' (KBYG) is an ongoing campaign to ensure travellers get adequate travel insurance, have the necessary passport and visa documentation, leave emergency contact information with someone and tell them where you are going, have enough money and have access to emergency funds, visit GPs before travelling as appropriate, familiarise themselves with the destination’s local laws and customs and check the FCO’s country travel advice. For details, see the FCO website.

Canada Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA)
As no further information has been received regarding the introduction of the ETA, ABTA contacted the Canadian Tourism Commission to establish a further update on the proposed system. They were verbally advised that the implementation date has been deferred until November 2015. The latest information regarding this is available at 'Canada Electronic Travel Authorisation' (ETA).

Further information is available in our Frequently Asked Questions section.

Please note, requirements can change and it is your responsibility to check with the relevant body and ensure you have the necessary and correct documentation and advice.

Other pages of interest:

Feefo badge