You will discover some of the most beautiful landscapes in Switzerland.
December 2022 was an important month in the history of this line, with the launch of the GoldenPass Express. This train will connect two equally popular regions. Both offering trips around the lakes or hikes into surrounding mountains. You can enjoy new carriages with panoramic windows and comfortable seating between Montreux and Interlaken without changing train at Zweisimmen. Two tracks meet here and an ingenious and innovative technical development will modify the gauge of the bogies and the height of the carriages in relation to the platform as they pass through Zweisimmen station. This means you stay on board and travel directly between two resorts. A modern train with three classes Prestige, 1st and 2nd. A selection of drinks and snacks are available on board. Why not travel in style for 3 hours 15 minutes.
|2023 Departures on sale now!|
- Scenic train transfers including 'GoldenPass' train from Montreux to Interlaken as part of your transfer to Wengen
- Opportunity to visit some UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Explore the stunning Lake Geneva region
- Taste the delicious Swiss chocolate and cheese
- Enjoy hiking on the mountain trails in Wengen
UK to Montreux
Arrive in Switzerland and take the scenic rail transfer to Montreux (approx. 1¼ hours from Geneva, 3¼ hours from Zurich). Montreux is well placed for exploring the Lake Geneva region. Perhaps take a morning stroll along the flower-lined promenade and stop at one of the many lakeside cafés for lunch. In the afternoon, enjoy an optional visit to the historic Château de Chillon castle.
You can head into the mountains and explore the UNESCO Lavaux vineyard terraces or take an optional trip on the Chocolate Train to La Maison du Gruyère, see the production of this famous Swiss cheese before continuing to Cailler’s chocolate world . Alternatively, visit Charlie Chaplin’s World in Vevey dedicated to Chaplin's on-screen work (optional).
GoldenPass Line to Wengen
Travel to Wengen via the scenic GoldenPass Line (Montreux to Interlaken, approx. 3 hours 15min) – the crowning highlight of your holiday. Connecting train from Interlaken to Wengen approx. 40 minutes. Time to explore the village.
There is plenty to see but a ‘must do’ trip is an optional journey to see Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch UNESCO-World Heritage Site via railway from Kleine Scheidegg to the highest railway station in Europe - Jungfraujoch at 3,454m (11,332ft).
Wengen’s walking area is opened up by numerous mountain lifts and many easy walks start directly from the village.
Perhaps take a full day trip to Trümmelbach Falls - Europe's largest subterranean waterfalls but watch out for the spray or hike from Grindelwald to Bussalp for spectacular views of the Jungfrau Mountain range.
Don’t miss these UNESCO highlights:
- Aletsch glacier UNESCO-World Heritage Site
- Lavaux vineyards on the shores of Lake Geneva
- Return flights from the UK
- Chosen hotel and meals advertised
- Discount Travel Card - worth £100
- 2nd class rail transfers within Switzerland
- Seat reservation on the ‘Golden Pass’ scenic train from Montreux to Interlaken
- Time to relax in Montreux with optional day trips
- Hiking opportunities
- Unlimited use of local buses in the Montreux region
Your holiday excludes:
- All optional excursions
- Any extras, drinks, gratuities and personal expenses
Choice of Standard or Superior hotel options
- Any Wednesday or Saturday throughout the summer from approx 22 May