Constance is the largest town on the lake and is perfectly situated to explore this beautiful region, just where the river Rhine meets the lake. The town has a fascinating history and a beautiful frescoed traffic-free old town with cobbled streets, brimming with shops, cafés and wine cellars. Visit the historic gothic-style Münster cathedral, the historic 'Konzilgebäude', or take and evening stroll along the lakeside and harbour, watched over by the famous 'Imperia' statue. The Lake Festival is due to take place here on 10th August with a spectacular firework display.
Things to do in resort
Things to do in Constance
- Occasional classical concerts at the Konzilgebäude
- Wine-tasting at Meersburg vineyards
- 'Bodensee Therme’ spa near Constance with outdoor and indoor pools, thermal baths and lake swimming
- Wine festivals throughout summer in Constance, Meersburg and Reichenau
- Casino, cinema and ‘Sea-Life Konstanz’ aquarium
- Great boutique shopping and gift shops, and selection of bustling cafés, bar and ice cream parlours in old town
- UNESCO world heritage site of St. Gallen convent nearby (approx. 1hr by train)
- Nearby ‘Flower island of Mainau’ with rose garden, palace and butterfly house
Lake steamers regularly tour the waters, stopping at a seemingly endless selection of romantic towns and historical sights, such as attractive Meersburg, with its old castle and vineyards; the lovely 'Flower Island' of Mainau, with its fabulous gardens; and Lindau, a delightful bustling Bavarian island town. Constance, Germany, the largest town on the lake, has a fascinating history and a beautiful frescoed traffic-free old town with cobbled streets, brimming with shops, cafés, and wine cellars. In the evenings visitors stroll along the lakeside, or enjoy a glass of the local Müller-Thurgau wine.
Great Value Travel passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips! The excellent-value 'Lake Constance Seebären Regional Pass' (pre-bookable) to use during your stay.
Costs from £65 (3 days), from £81 (7 days)
This excellent value ‘all-inclusive’ regional pass is recommended for guests staying in Constance
- Free unlimited travel on the ‘White Fleet’ passenger boats around the lake including to Constance, Lindau, Bregenz, Meersburg, Mainau, Friedrichshafen, Stein am Rhein, Überlingen and Schaffhausen for the Rhine Falls
- Free entrance to 160 attractions in the region including Friedrichshafen Zeppelin museum, Meersburg castles, Salem castle, Unteruhldingen ‘Village on Stilts’ and Sea Life Konstanz
- Free travel on Pfänder cable-car near Bregenz, and Säntis cable-car in Switzerland
- Free entrance to many village, art and culture museum
Subject to change. Travel on catamaran and car ferry services not included.
Location in resort
- Longitude: 9.1783381
- Latitude: 47.6642414
- Location Description:
- 5 minutes walk from centre
For more information on travel and transport visit our Constance page