The Capital of Iceland and the entry point for the majority of visitors, Reykjavík provides a great city break and start to any Iceland trip. Visit the Solfar Sun Voyager and spot Mount Esja at dawn or dusk. Shop and dine in the Old Harbour - Iceland’s food scene is highly regarded and there’s plenty of choice for seafood lovers. The Blue Lagoon is also a must, geothermally heated waters filled with natural minerals, algae and silica to cure any wellbeing and relaxation cravings. Walks and cycle paths are also plentiful both in and on the outskirts of Reykjavík where nature is on the doorstep. There are an array of bars in the Laugavegur district for any budding night owl.
If you want to explore more of Iceland then we have many tours for you to choose from all providing you with different experiences. All three of our escorted tours start and end in Reykjavík; Wonders of Iceland, Iceland’s Summer Explorer and Land of Volcanoes and Glaciers. As well as the unique offering of Geysers, Glaciers & Waterfalls as a self-drive tour where you will drive to and from the Capital.
Guests enjoying a City Break stay to Reykjavik also receive one free excursion, enjoy a tour of the Golden Circle, can go whale watching or take an adventurous ride on a unique Icelandic Horse to the lava fields. See our excursions tab for more information.
Things to do in resort
- • Visit Hallgrimskirkja Church, there are 360° views at the top
- • Perlan on Öskjuhlíd hill
- • Visit the main shopping streets of Laugavegur, Bankastræti and Austurstræti
- • Go to the city's flea market, Kolaportið
- • Visit the Harpa Concert Hall
- • See the Sun Voyager sculpture
- • Walk round the city pond of Tjörnin
- • Reykavik Maritime Museum
- • The Blue Lagoon
- • Reflost Festival of Electronic Arts (23-25 May*)
- • Viking Festival (13-17 June*)
- • Arts Festival (6-21 June*)
- • Fringe Festival (29 June- 6 July*)
- • Iceland's National Day (17 June)
*Summer 2019 dates, summer 2020 TBC.
Location in resort
- Longitude: 21.9456
- Latitude: 64.1509
For more information on travel and transport visit our Reykjavik page