- Lake cruises
- Excursions by boat and rail from nearby Interlaken
Lake steamers stopping close to the Hotel Beatus regularly visit all the charming lakeside villages, and provide a delightful way of exploring whilst on holidays in Merligen. Alternatively, a regular bus service links the lake resorts with Thun and Interlaken. Gentle lakeside walks are well sign-posted, and further well-trodden paths take in sights such as the vineyards and castle at Oberhofen, and picturesque villages of Faulensee and Beatenberg. Guests will be overwhelmed by the choice of day excursions available on Merligen holidays - most of those available from Interlaken are also available from Merligen.
In & Around Merligen - Lake Thun
- Excellent shopping in Interlaken, Thun and Berne
- Wine tour of Spiez vineyards including short hike and information about winegrowing
- Regular markets selling local produce and crafts
- Horse-carriage rides, casino, golf course and public lido in resort
- Boat rides on Lake Thun to visit the various castles, or the St. Beatus caves
- Cog railway from Wilderswil for Schynige Platte alpine garden
- Ballenberg open-air museum near Brienz
- Excellent transport links to Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren
- Cruises on Lake Brienz to see the Giessbach waterfalls and Brienz, capital of wood-carving
- Heimwehfluh vintage funicular with toboggan run and model railway exhibition at summit
'Lake Thun Panorama Card' - Free to All Guests
The free ‘Lake Thun Panorama Card’ is provided by your hotel upon arrival and gives you:
- Free use of local buses - with resort card
- Free use of the little blue train ‘Spiezer Zügli’ - with resort card
- Free Guided public tour of Thun - with resort card
- 50% reduction on selected mountain transfers including Stockhorn and Niederhorn cable-cars and Niesen funicular
Subject to change.
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your discount card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
Travel card sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips:
(Prices shown include Travel Card discount)
Jungfraubahn Pass (pre-bookable) - 3 days from £97, 6 days from £141, 7 days from £161, 8 days from £180
Enjoy consecutive days Free travel on trains, cable-cars, gondolas and boats within the Jungfrau region including:
- Free train travel to Wengen, Mürren, Interlaken, Wilderswil and Lauterbrunnen
- Free travel on ‘First’ gondola, Männlichen and Pfingstegg cable-cars and Harder Kulm funicular
- Free travel on Schynige Platte cog railway for alpine garden
- 6 days onward includes boats on Lakes Thun & Brienz, and train between Interlaken Ost & Breinz
Supplement applies for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn.
Bernese Oberland Regional Pass (pre-bookable): 4 days from £144, 6 days from £183
For those wanting to travel further afield within the region, this good value pass gives you 4 or 6 consecutive days travel on regional trains, buses and boats, including:
- Trains to Gstaad, Thun, Meiringen and Adelboden
- Brienzer Rothorn and Niesen mountain railways
- Unlimited cruising on Lakes Thun and Brienz
- Mountain transport within the Jungfrau Region
Car hire is available
There is an excellent selection of walking for all abilities in and around Interlaken and its lakes. Options include the roundtrip from Interlaken West to Neuhaus on Lake Thun and back (approx. 3 hrs) or the pleasant 1 hr walk from Brienz to Ballenberg. From Brinez, you can also hike to the Giessbach waterfalls in just over an hour. The themed trail at the summit of the Harder Kulm funicular, accessible from Interlaken centre, explains the history, flora, fauna and geology of the Harder mountain. More adventurous walks are also within easy reach. trails can be found in the surrounding mountains. With the Jungfrau resorts of Grindelwald, Mürren and Wengen a short train journey away, a multitude of more adventurous walks are also within easy reach.