We are delighted to say that our resorts of Levi, Ylläs and Saariselkä now currently have a good covering of snow. The weather outlook is positive, with more snowfall and low temperatures forecast over the next few days. As such, we’re pleased to share that we expect all upcoming departures to go ahead as planned. We will continue to monitor the situation.
Levi and Ylläs have seen snowfall over the weekend, and there is currently a good covering of snow in Saariselkä. Temperatures are set to drop, and more snow is predicted today and over the coming week. As such, we expect all departures from the 5th December onwards to go ahead as planned. As always, we will of course continue to monitor the situation and will be in contact should the situation change.
3 night Santa Breaks guests whose holidays have been cancelled on 2nd December
As you will have seen from previous statements, Lapland has been experiencing unseasonably warm weather at the start of this winter season.
Our northerly resorts of Ylläs and Levi have seen snowfalls in recent days and activities have been running as planned. Unfortunately, overnight there has been considerable rainfall which has washed away the accumulated snow.
It is with deep regret that we are having to cancel the 3 nights Santa Breaks holiday departing on 2nd December, as we have been advised by our in-resort teams that there is insufficient snow-covering to provide the activities and experience that we would want for our guests.
We will of course be providing full refunds. Wherever we are able, we will offer options to rebook onto another departure later this month. Should this not be possible, we will allow guests to rebook for next December and of course, we will honour the price that has been paid for this cancelled departure.
We are in the process of contacting all guests impacted and are genuinely sorry for the late notice of this announcement, but the situation in both these resorts has changed significantly overnight. We have not taken this decision lightly, but with no further snow expected until early next week, we felt this is the only appropriate course of action open to us.
For those guests travelling on the departures from the 5th December onwards, we currently expect all trips to go ahead as planned, as temperatures drop below freezing and there is significant snowfall predicted early next week. We will of course continue to monitor the situation and will be in contact should the situation change.
Over the last week or so, Levi, Ylläs and Saariselkä have seen varying amounts of snowfall. But as you will be aware, for this time of year, there has been considerably less than usual. Although each of the resorts is now ‘white’, the levels of snow have presented challenges with the excursions we offer.
As a result, we have been working night and day with our suppliers in each resort and we expect all activities included in our trips to go ahead. Our biggest challenges have been with husky and reindeer rides, and snowmobiles, as these require the most snow for the activities to take place safely.
Our first Santa Breaks departure took place on the 25th November, to Levi. Unfortunately, due to the depth of snow there, we have not been able to provide snowmobile rides. We have however been able to provide husky and reindeer rides to the majority of guests. As we were limited by the numbers of guests we could send on these rides, some of our guests were unable to take part on these rides yesterday, but were instead offered the opportunity to visit the husky and reindeer farms and interact with the animals.
Late last night, we are pleased to say that we were able to work with a supplier to open an activity centre earlier than planned and, as a result, those guests who were unable to take husky and reindeer rides yesterday will be provided with the opportunity today.
Please be assured that, at all times, we and our suppliers are doing our utmost to ensure our guests have the best possible experience in Lapland. We continue to monitor the situation closely and, as soon as we have further updates, we will provide them on here.
We are truly grateful for everyone’s patience and our in-resort teams look forward to welcoming you to Levi, Ylläs and Saariselkä soon.
We’re pleased to report that more snow has fallen in our resorts of Levi, Saariselkä, and Ylläs in Northern Lapland, and temperatures are continuing to drop below 0°C. We’d like to reassure you that the core included activities on our Santa Breaks package will be running. Some pre-booked optional activities may be unable to run and these will be replaced with alternatives or will of course be refunded. We, and our dedicated teams on the ground, remain committed to doing everything we can to ensure you have a magical experience, and we’re confident that holidays departing in December will be unaffected. We continue to monitor the situation and will provide further updates.
We’re pleased to share that the temperatures in Levi, Saariselkä, and Ylläs - our resorts in northern Lapland - are continuing to drop, preserving the latest snowfall. Our Guest Services team has now been in contact with all who are travelling in November, to update guests on their in-resort arrangements. With more snow forecast for this weekend, we’re confident that holidays departing in December will be unaffected. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will provide further updates.
Snow has fallen overnight in our resorts in northern Lapland, and the weather forecasts are showing increasingly low temperatures, which gives us confidence that conditions are improving. Our Guest Services team is in the process of contacting all guests travelling in November. Please be assured that we will continue to monitor the situation into December and will provide updates on any changes as they happen.
Finnish Lapland has been experiencing warm weather, unusual for this time of year, which has impacted snowfall across the region. Our resorts are based in northern Finland, where snow is forecast this week. Our overseas management team is working round-the-clock with our experienced local suppliers to put plans in place, so we can provide our guests with a magical experience.
If you are travelling between 25th and 30th November, our Guest Services team will be in touch with you individually in the next couple of days to provide an update on conditions.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and we will post further updates here as necessary.