- Lake cruises
- Lakeside Strolls
- Flora and fauna
- History and culture museums
Montreux, Switzerland is a wonderful base from which to explore the region, by boat, train, bus or on foot. Montreux has a beautiful lakeside promenade lined with palm trees and flowers. A visit to the well-known landmark, the charming 'Château de Chillon', is a must, whilst visitors can spend many relaxing days visiting other places of interest along the shores of the lake, such as the city of Geneva itself, or Evian-Les-Bains in France, either by charming lake steamer, or excellent rail links. Alternatively, take the little mountain train up to Rochers de Naye, one of Switzerland's favourite viewpoints.
Resort Card - Free to all guests
The Free ‘Montreux Riviera Resort Card’ is provided by your hotel upon arrival and gives you:
- Free Travel on resort buses, including to Villeneuve nature reserve, Vevey and Glion viewpoint above the lake
- Free Welcome drink at the tourist office upon arrival
- 50% reduction on entrance to many local attractions, including Château de Chillon and Swiss Toy Museum
- Reduced fares on some mountain railways
Subject to change.
Other things to do in and around Montreux
- Famous 12th century Chateau de Chillon (50% reduction with resort card)
- Visit the old town of Vevey, with its cobbled streets, little shops and local history museum (entrance Free)
- New Charlie Chaplin Museum in Vevey opened Summer 2016
- ‘Lavaux Vinorama’ vineyards with wine-tasting and info about this UNESCO world heritage site
- Lavaux Passion wine festival (approx 10-11 September) in nearby Vevey (approx. Sfr30 daily entrance)
- ‘Marmotte Paradise’ (entrance free) observation area at Rochers de Naye
- ‘Les Grangettes’ nature reserve in Villeneuve
- Scenic boat trips to Evian, Lausanne etc.
- Montreux Jazz festival with live music (approx 29-30 Jun)
- Excellent train links to city of Geneva for shopping and sightseeing
- ‘September Musical’ classical music festival (dates tbc)
- Regular folk markets take place in Vevey on Saturdays Jul-beg Sep
- Street Artists festival with free shows in Vevey (dates tbc)
DiscountTravel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your travel card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
Travel card sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips!
Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Montreux Regional Pass (pre-bookable)
Lake Geneva Regional Pass best for unlimited travel on trains, boats and mountain railways in the Lake Geneva region including Vevey, Evian, Geneva and Rochers de Naye from £84 (any 3 days within 7, 2nd class)
There is plenty of walking opportunity in and around Montreux from pleasant lakeside strolls to longer walks in the hills above the town, reached by small mountain train. There are several walks which meander through the UNESCO world heritage site of the terraced Lavaux vineyards, which stretch along the shores of Lake Geneva.
Easy ‘La Rambertia’ alpine garden at the summit of the Rochers de Naye is worth a visit, not just for the 1000 alpine plants which are protected there, but also for great views of the lake.
Moderate Head to the UNESCO site of Lavaux, where you can meander through its terraced vineyards along the shores of Lake Geneva. There are various levels of walk depending on how high you want to climb. Or visit the ‘Grangettes’ nature reserve rich in flora and fauna. Head to Villeneuve on and then take the short walk (approx. 15 mins) along the shore to Le Bouveret to admire the various plants and wildlife, including over 270 species of bird, which can be found here. Don’t forget your binoculars!