Mürren, perched high above the Lauterbrunnen Valley, is one of Europe’s most historic ski areas: a “cradle” of Alpine skiing! The peaceful traffic-free village is set dramatically on a terrace on the other side of the valley from Wengen, You can only reach it by cable car. In 1928 its famous Inferno - at just under 10 miles, the longest amateur downhill in the world - was held for the first time. Mürren is the ideal retreat from the busier resorts and yet offers great skiing on its own ‘Mürren-Schilthorn’ ski area (which featured in the James Bond film On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – and is the location for the celebrated Piz Gloria revolving restaurant), with convenient beginners’ slopes and some of the most challenging runs in the region. Non-skiers staying in the region can take advantage of the excellent winter walking and sledging with the non-skiers’ lift pass.
2 snowparks (Mürren & Grindelwald)
Drag lifts 10, Chairlifts 20, Cablecars 4
Things to do in resort
- Full programme of après-ski events
- Curling & ice skating
- Snowshoe-trekking paths
- Excursion to the UNESCO heritage site of the Jungfraujoch ‘Top of Europe’ and Aletsch Glacier
- Helicopter sightseeing tours of Jungfrau massif as well as heli-skiing
- Mürren Kandahar races 16-20 Dec
- ‘Lauberhorn’ downhill race takes place in Wengen 15-17 Jan
- ‘Inferno’ downhill race takes place in Mürren 20-23 Jan
- Schilthorn skyline snow experience: snow tubing, tobogganing, Zip Line, igloo village and skiing
- Ski and non-ski kindergarten (1-8yrs) available locally in Wengen. Advance booking recommended.
- 'Ice Magic' ice skating experience in Interlaken
For more information on travel and transport visit our Murren page