Known as the ‘Pearl of Lake Maggiore’, this quaint lakeside town is situated in a sunny bay near the delta of the Maggia River and has a special charm. The lakeside promenade enjoys a wonderful panorama of Lake Maggiore and towards the Brissago islands and the old town with its cobbled streets and bell tower is home to a variety of little boutiques to explore. The regular bus and boat services bring visitors with ease to Locarno or other destinations on both the Swiss and Italian side of the lake, and there are plenty of walking opportunities from strolls along the lakefront, or walks higher up into the Ticino valleys.
Things to do in resort
- Cable cars
- Walking and hiking - from palm trees to glaciers: where the Meditteranean and Alpine meet
- Lake boat trips
- Botanical garden
- E-bike hire
For those staying in Ascona hotels, there are lots of activities and excursions to keep you busy. Among its major attractions are a lovely lake promenade lined with flowers and palm trees, luxuriant sub-tropical parks and gardens, access to wonderful wild valleys such as Valle Verzasca and the Centovalli - famous for its dramatic rail routes - and the ambient 'Piazza Grande' famous for its frequent concerts and other events. Boat rides can be taken to the Islands of Brissago in Switzerland, or the Borromean Islands and Stresa in Italy. A free return trip up Cardada is included for guests on holidays in Ascona who stay 7 or more nights.
In and around Ascona
- Madonna del Sasso church, with fantastic views over the town, lake and mountains
- Botanical gardens of Brissago islands with wide selection of flora
- Monte Verità is a great wooded park and features exotic plants, it offers views of Lake Maggiore and the Ticino Valleys and is a popular spot for philosophers and artists
- Parco delle Camelie, Locarno has precious botanical features and 850 types of flower
- Bolle of Magadino is a renowned wildlife refuge
- Day trips on Lake Maggiore for the Borromean islands and their gardens with fantastic exotic and tropical plants
- 1.5km Lakeside Maggiore walk from Locarno to Muralto
- The three castles of Bellinzona - Castelgrande, Montebello and Sasso Corbaro were built in the Medieval Age
- Discovering Lake Maggiore on board the 'Navigazione del Lago Maggiore' boat is a unique experience
- Basilica of San pietro e Paolo in Borgo old town with art museum
- 'Lido Locarno’ public lido with swimming pools and thermal pool
- 6 & 9 hole golf courses, plus 18-hole course in nearby Ascona & Losone
- 'Moon and Stars’ music festival (approx 9-19 Jul)
- 'JazzAscona’ music festival (approx 20-29 Jun)
- Locarno film festival (approx 7-17 Aug)
- Folk festival takes place throughout June
- Ascona Polo Cup takes place in July
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your discount travel card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
NB. Discount card is not valid on Lake Maggiore
Travel card sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Evening resort bus service available
Car hire is available locally
Location in resort
- Longitude: 8.7712231
- Latitude: 46.152795
For more information on travel and transport visit our Ascona page