- Free entrance to 'Blausee' Nature Park with boat trip - visit the beautiful lake, famous for its deep blue water. Please 1½ hour walk from resort or take the bus (approx. £4 return)
- Free weekly guided tour of the village tour and local museum (Tuesday)
Other things to do in and around Kandersteg
- Popular terrace restaurant and rowing boat hire at Lake Oeschinen
- Several festivals take place in July with FREE entrance: Horse show jumping competition with live music (approx. 11 - 14 Jul); ‘Sheep Festival’ at nearby Lake Dauben with traditional music (approx. 26 Jul)
- Outdoor public swimming pool in village centre
- Easy train routes to Interlaken, Berne and Zermatt
- Fortnightly Swiss folklore evenings (Jun-Aug)
- 'Ricola' herb garden located opposite the Waldhotel Doldenhorn used for the famous Swiss sweets
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your half-price card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
Travel card sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a regional travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips:
Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Bernese Oberland Regional Pass (pre-bookable)* - From £125 (3 days), £137 (4 days), £163 (6 days), £185 (8 days), £208 (10 days). For those wanting to travel further afield within the region, this good value pass gives you 3, 4, 6, 8 or 10 consecutive days FREE travel on regional trains, buses and boats, including:
- Trains to Gstaad, Thun, Meiringen and Adelboden
- Brienzer Rothorn and Niesen mountain railways
- Unlimited cruising on Lakes Thun and Brienz
- Mountain transport within the Jungfrau Region
*Family Card not valid with Bernese Oberland Regional Pass. Children up to 16yrs must purchase a 'Bernese Oberland Junior Card' locally (approx. Sfr30 per child).
Village bus is free with guest card
Car hire is available
There are over 550kms of walking paths to explore the scenery in and around Kandersteg, parts of which belongs to the UNESCO World heritage Swiss Alps. Lake Oschienen certainly lives up to this recognition with its shimmering mountain lake.
Easy Stroll through the Gasterntal, starting the ascent through the Klus gorge alongside the River kander, emerging at the entrance of the Gasterntal, a beautiful glacier valley, then heading through the surrounding meadows full of flowers and cowbells. One of the favourites is the easy trail along thevalley to the picturesque ‘Blausee’ lake and nature park (approx. 1½ hrs), where all Inghams guests receive free entrance - see opposite. Or try the well-marked plant trail, an pleasant roundtrip discovering the regional alpina flora from the top of Sunnbuel. Don’t forget to pick up your free pamphlet from the tourist office!
Moderate The famous 'Gemmipass' trail is wonderful for views of the Valaisan Alps, and was the main trading route hundred of years ago between the cantons of Valais and Berne. Take the Sunnbuel cable-car from the village and then follow the path crossing the flower-filled Spittelmatte plains and skirting the shorts of Lake Dauben. When you reach the Gemmi, you will be able to see the Matterhorn and Monte Rosa peaks
Slightly challenging A trip on the Oeschinen gondola to the shimmering mountain lake is also a must, and is a good starting place for more adventurous walks including the signposted route across the flood plain, through the forest andc climb to the Frudenhutte 1000m above. You are rewarded with a stunning view of the lake's crystal blue waters.
Various walking challenges run by the tourist office await those who want to see the best of the region (suitable for all abilities). Collect stamps or passwords on your walks to exchange for a pin badge to resort (badge approx. Sfr5.50 each).
Local Walking Map
Plan your walking in advance, purchase a map of the local area for just £6.95. Must be ordered at time of booking.