- Horse drawn carriage rides
Lake steamers call in regularly to offer leisurely trips to other lovely villages along the shores, such as Merligen and Hilterfingen. In July and August there are open-air performances of Schiller's William Tell, with horses, cows and goats among the cast! Numerous excursions are available to those on holidays in Interlaken, and the top of everyone's list should be a trip on the Jungfrau Railway to the Jungfraujoch. There are many attractive shops and boutiques, and cafés such as Café Schuh are a great place in which to enjoy some delicious afternoon cake or Swiss chocolate!
The free ‘Interlaken Resort Card’ is provided by your hotel upon arrival and gives you:
- Free Use of local buses in Interlaken, Wilderswil and to surrounding villages such as Iseltwald and Beatenbucht
- Free Entrance to resort casino
- Free Travel on some nearby trains. See map for valid routes
- Free Entrance to village museum and guided weekly walk in Bönigen
Subject to change.
Other things to do in Interlaken
- Excellent shopping in Interlaken, Thun and Berne
- Regular markets selling local produce and crafts
- Horse-carriage rides, casino, golf course and public lido in resort
- Boat rides on Lake Thun to visit the various castles, or the St. Beatus caves
- Cog railway from Wilderswil for Schynige Platte alpine garden
- Ballenberg open-air museum near Brienz
- Excellent transport links to Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren
- Cruises on Lake Brienz to see the Giessbach waterfalls and Brienz, capital of wood-carving
- Heimwehfluh vintage funicular with toboggan run and model railway exhibition at summit
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your half-price card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
Travel card is sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips:
Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Jungfrau Travel Pass (pre-bookable) - From £97 3 days, £141 6 days, £161 7 days, £180 8 days
Enjoy consecutive days Free travel on trains, cable-cars, gondolas and boats within the Jungfrau region including:
- Free train travel to Wengen, Mürren, Interlaken, Wilderswil and Lauterbrunnen
- Free travel on ‘First’ gondola, Männlichen and Pfingstegg cable-cars and Harder Kulm funicular
- Free travel on Schynige Platte cog railway for alpine garden
- 6 days onward includes boats on Lakes Thun & Brienz, and train between Interlaken Ost & Breinz
Supplement applies for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. Family Card not valid with Jungfrau Travel Pass, children up to 15yrs must purchase a Jungfrau Junior Travel Card locally (Sfr 30 per child)
Bernese Oberland Regional Pass†(pre-bookable) - From £144 4 days, £183 6 days
For those wanting to travel further afield within the region, this good value pass gives you 4 or 6 consecutive days travel on regional trains, buses and boats, including:
- Trains to Gstaad, Thun, Meiringen and Adelboden
- Brienzer Rothorn and Niesen mountain railways
- Unlimited cruising on Lakes Thun and Brienz
- Mountain transport within the Jungfrau Region
†Family Card not valid with Bernese Oberland Regional Pass. Children up to 15yrs must purchase a 'Bernese Oberland Junior Card' locally (approx. Sfr30 per child).
*Prices shown include Travel Card discount. Please note that we act at all times as selling agent for the suppliers of activities & excursions.
The Bernese Oberland Regional Pass also entitles you to discount and in some cases free excursions out of the following list: (prices may vary)
Hiking first and sightseeing historische Sage Schwarzwaldalp
Explore an 100 year old wood factory powered by running water. Plus Gletscherschlucht Rosenlaui including powerful waterfalls, romantic grottos and fantastic cliff formations. Journey includes train bus and cable car.
Hiking Grütschalp – Winteregg – Mürren
Easy walk ideal for short excursions. The path runs alongside the railway linking Grütschalp and Mürren. Features stunning views of Jungfrau Mönch and Eiger. Journey includes train cable car and funicular.
Cruise on Lake Thun and City of Thun
Marvel the magnificent mountain views from this romantic waterside location. Pack city, mountain and castle sightseeing into a single day.
Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe
The summit of the Bernese Alps. This simply something you have to experience. There is a swiss chocolate heaven, snow fun park and ice palace.
Actioned packed day including toboggan run, barbecue at a swimming lake and a hike. Journey on train and cable car.
Nearest train stations are Interlaken West and Interlaken East
Resort bus is free with guest card
Car hire is available
There is an excellent selection of walking for all abilities in and around Interlaken and its lakes.
Easy Take a stroll along the river past the Weissenau ruins to the Neuhaus nature reserve. Walking along the river in the opposite direction will bring you to Bönigen on the shores of Lake Brieznz, where you can then pick up the path along the Lutschinen river along to Wilderswil.
Moderate From Brienz, you can also hike to the Giessbach waterfalls in the just over an hour, and up to the Grand Hotel giessbach for some refreshment. Or try the themed trail at the summit of the Harder Kulm funicular, accessible from Interlaken centre, which explains the history, flora, fauna and geology of the Harder mountain.
Slightly Challenging With the Jungfrau resorts or Grindelwald, Mürren and Wengen a short train journey away, a multitude of more adventurous walks are also within easy reach.
Local Walking Map
Plan your walking in advance, purchase a map of the local area for just £6.95. Must be ordered at time of booking.