- Lake cruises
- Lake swimming
Lucerne is small enough to discover on foot allowing you to explore the charming streets of the traffic-free "old-town", with its frescoed buildings, delightful cafés, shops and boutiques, or drop by one of the city's museums. A regular fleet of lake steamers call in at the harbour, carrying people on holidays in Lucerne to picturesque lakeside villages such as Weggis and Vitznau, and to Mount Rigi, Bürgenstock, and Pilatus Kulm - reached by the steepest cogwheel railway in the world. There is good scope for walking on many of these local mountains. A free boat ride and city walking tour is included for those on Lucerne holidays who are staying for 7 or more nights.
- Free Panorama Boat Trip - 1 hour boat ride on the lake with commentary
- Free Guided 'Classic Walking Tour' of Lucerne (approx. 2 hours)
Other things to do in and around Lucerne
- Old town with cobbled streets and beautifully decorated facades
- Public lake swimming, casino and cinema
- Several churches with beautiful interiors
- Great shopping plus regular markets
- Swiss Army knife making in nearby Brunnen (approx. Sfr25 per person)
- International Music Festival with some free events (approx 16 Aug - 15 Sep )
- Trips to surrounding peaks including Pilatus, Mount Rigi, Stanserhorn and Bürgenstock
- Many museums including the famous Museum of Transport
- Lucerne Museum Pass available locally (approx. Sfr36 per person)
- ‘Blue Balls’ music festival with some free concerts (approx 19-27 Jul)
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests (Your travel card is sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets)
Save up to 50% with your half-price card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £80!
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips:
Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Tell Regional Pass (pre-bookable)
2 consecutive days, from £135 (2nd class)
5 consecutive days, from £174 (2nd class)
10 consecutive days, from £199 (2nd class)
Individual upgrades to 1st class tickets payable locally.
Discover the region with this great value pass, which gives you unlimited travel on regional boats, buses, trains and cable-cars including:
- Free travel to summits Pilatus Kulm, Rigi Kulm and Stanserhorn for fantastic views, open-top cable-car and walking.
- Free unlimited boat trips around the whole of Lake Lucerne to Weggis, Brunnen, Vitznau, Fluelen and Küssnacht
- Free trains to Meiringen, Engelberg, Zug and Arth-Goldau
- Free trip on the Mount Titlis revolving aerial cable-car
- Free unlimited boat trips on Lake Zug
- Free unlimited use of city buses in Lucerne
- Free trip on Mount Titlis revolving cable-car
- Upgrade to 1st class locally
Car hire is available
Easy Lucerne is perfect for strolls along the lakeside or the colourful old town. Don't miss the city guided walking tour, which points out the city's most important landmarks.
Moderate Nature lovers should take the boat to Breckenreid for the 'Klewenalp Flower Trail'. Once at the top, the signs take you on a short steep section, but then flattens out as you make your way around Klewenalp, following the wide variety of wild flowers which thrive here (approx. 1hr)
Slightly Challenging Head out of Lucerne to the nearby Rigi mountain near Weggis. The cog railway takes you up to Rigi Kulm and you can walk even higher to get stunning panoramic views. Instead of taking the train back down, walk to Rigi Kaltbad (approx. 1hr 20 mins). Ascending Mount Pilatus by cog railways and cable-car is also a must for inspring views of the lake and Alpine range.
Local Walking Map
Plan your walking in advance, purchase a map of the local area for just £6.95. Must be ordered at time of booking.