Wild and beautiful – hence the name of one of the Tyrol’s loveliest and most unspoilt valleys. Even though Innsbruck is just under two hours away it could be a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Niederau, the first and biggest of its traditional and most charming villages, is ideal for beginner and intermediate skiers, although there are testing runs too. It’s linked with Oberau, just 3km away, by free ski bus service. Auffach, at the end of the valley, has some more challenging slopes and is now linked with Alpbach’s ski area to form, with Niederau and Auffach, the Ski Juwel area. In recent seasons, the Wildschönau has won awards for ‘Best Family Ski Area’ and ‘Friendliest Staff’, as well as one for excellent piste preparation. All guests receive the FREE Wildschönau Card, which includes guided winter walks and snowshoeing, FREE entry to local museums as well as discounts for local attractions and activities.
3 (2 in Wildschonau, 1 in Alpbach)
Drag lifts 29, Chairlifts 7, Cablecars 9
Things to do in resort
- Horse-drawn sleigh rides
- A full programme of après–ski events
- Day excursion to Salzburg
- Ski kindergarten
- Local museum and art gallery
- The night bus (Nightliner) operates Thursday – Saturday from 8pm – 3am which is free with guest card and travels between Niederau and Oberau to Auffach.
- The Catholic church in the centre of Niederau opening times vary week-week. The Christmas Carol Service held on 25th Dec is at 5pm.
- Tobogganing is available in nearby Oberau every Wed and Thurs for €5.50-€8.50 per person.
- The weekly Ski Show is held every Sunday in Niederau at 8:30pm (Free) starting on 27th Dec.
- The local museum is open every Wed from 12-7pm from the 23rd Dec. Cost: €3.80/€5.60 per person
- The Art Gallery in Niederau is open daily from 5-6.30pm.
- Guided winter walking can be booked at the Tourist office every Tues, Wed & Fri at 10am (subject to Min/Max numbers)
- The High Rope Course costs €40 for Adults, €35 for children 14 & under.
- Resort bus free with guest card in Wildschönau Valley
Location in resort
- Longitude: 12.100197
- Latitude: 47.448167
- Location Description:
- Ideally located opposite the Tennladen lift and nursery slopes
- Only 5 minutes' walk (500m) from the centre with a ski bus stop outside
- Ski lift and ski school opposite
- In house ski hire shop
- Nearest Bus Stop: 20
- Distance to Lift: 500
- Distance to City Centre: 500
For more information on travel and transport visit our Niederau page