Set at the foot of the impressive ‘North Face’ of the Eiger, with its dramatic glaciers in full view, Grindelwald is a friendly mountain village with chalet-style houses, cafés, restaurants and a good variety of shops. This is fantastic walking country, and Grindelwald has easy access by rail, cable-car and gondola, to both sides of the valley, encompassing a lion’s share of the Jungfrau region’s best paths. Take the ‘First’ gondola from the village for fabulous, scenic walks, or the ‘Männlichen’ gondola to meet the cable-car down to Wengen. The highlight of the region is to travel on one of the world’s most famous railway journeys through the Eiger to the Jungfraujoch, Europe’s highest railway station’, at 3,454m. Our hotels in Grindelwald give you a great choice of accommodation.
Things to do in resort
The Grindelwald Mannlichen gondola use to be the longest in the world. A fast service will be available from 2020.
For the 2019 season, you will be able to use a bus service to access this area instead. Grindelwalds extensive bus routes from the 22 June onwards; or take the panoramic hike across the Kleine Scheidegg which you will access by mountain train from Grindelwald.
Aside from Gondolas, cables cars and mountain railways, the Grindelwald bus routes extends to the mountain sides giving you great access to the regions popular hiking routes including Busalp or Waldspitz and Grosse Scheidegg. Enjoy the splendid views, the lovely mountain restaurants and even an Alpine cheese festival that takes place in September.
Buses go from the bus station opposite the train station so getting around Switzerlands public transport is easy. You can also hop on the bus route nearby and if necessary change at the bus station.
Free Resort Card
The Free 'Grindelwald Guest Card' is provided by your hotel on arrival and gives you:
- Free use of in resort buses
- Free* use of resort swimming pool
- Reduced entrance to local attractions including Grindelwald Museum, Glacier Gorge and Pfingstegg cable-car.
Subject to change.
*only applies to Hotel Bodmi, Hotel Jungfrau Lodge, Hotel Eiger and Eiger Apartments
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Our half-price card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and is sent to you before departure with your rail tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips:
(Prices shown include Travel Card discount)
Jungfrau Travel Pass (pre-bookable) - from £97 3 days, from £141 6 days, from £161 7 days, from £180 8 days
Enjoy consecutive days Free travel on trains, cable-cars, gondolas and boats within the Jungfrau region including:
- Free train travel to Wengen, Mürren (selected routes only), Interlaken, Wilderswil and Lauterbrunnen
- Free travel on ‘First’ gondola, Männlichen cable-car from Wengen, Buses to Männlichen Summer 2019
- Harder Kulm funicular from Interlaken
- Free travel on Schynige Platte cog railway for alpine garden
- Passes from 5 days validity onward includes boats on Lakes Thun & Brienz, and train between Interlaken Ost & Interlaken West. As well as Interlaken Ost & Breinz (spelling Brienz) allowing for round trips by boat and train on Lake Brienz.
Supplement applies for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. Family Card not valid with Jungfrau Travel Pass, children up to 15yrs must purchase a Jungfrau Junior Travel Card (Sfr 30 per child for any duration)
Bernese Oberland Regional Pass* (pre-bookable): from £144 4 days, from £183 6 days
For those wanting to travel further afield within the region, this good value pass gives you 4 or 6 consecutive days FREE travel on regional trains, buses and boats, including:
- Trains to Gstaad, Thun, Meiringen and Adelboden
- Brienzer Rothorn and Niesen mountain railways
- Unlimited cruising on Lakes Thun and Brienz
- Mountain transport within the Jungfrau Region
*Family Card not valid with Bernese Oberland Regional Pass. Children up to 16yrs must purchase a 'Bernese Oberland Junior Card' locally (approx. Sfr30 per child).
The Bernese Oberland Regional Pass also entitles you to discount and in some cases free excursions out of the following list: (prices may vary)
Grosse Scheidegg and Lake Brienz
Experience Switzerland by Bus Train and Boat. Explore all of its nature including powerful waterfalls, romantic grottos, and beautiful cliff formations: for thousands of years the glacial waters have been sculpting a fantastic work of rock.
Four separate glorious train journeys sandwiched around a cinematic hike. Expect stunning mountain formations, waterfalls and views.
Toboggan run Heimwehfluh and Dinner Harder Kulm
Experience the vast network of public transport including 3 separate train routes and 2 funicular journeys. All sandwiched around the famous Heimwehfluh toboggan run.
Shopping and Thun Castle
Train journey that takes you to Thun and back. Featuring shopping, a guided tour of Thun and a magical visit to Thun castle.
Giessbach Falls on Lake Brienz
Experience Switzerland by Bus Train and Boat. In addition to an hour and half hike giving you the opportunity to experience the impressive Glessbach waterfall, tranquil shore of Lake Brienz and the charming village of Iselwald set in a shady forest.
For steam train and train lovers. Explore the stunning mountain backdrop and picturesque meadows. Including trains to Wilderswill and Schynige Platte.
Swiss open-air museum Ballenberg
Travel by train, bus and boat. Visit Ballenberg open- air museum. Check the itinerary. It can be anything ranging from pottery to chocolate making to beekeeping.
Other things to do in and around Grindelwald
- ‘Pfingstegg’ viewing platform with unique view of whole valley
- Grindelwald museum displaying history of the village
- ‘First Flyer’ zip wire cable-way
- Sports centre with indoor swimming pool
- Bowling alley and mini-golf
- Excellent train connections across the local area to Interlaken, Lakes Thun and Brienz, Wilderswil, Wengen and Berne
- Weekly Swiss folklore evenings throughout July and August
- Regular folk and music concerts
- 'Land Art' festival takes place in June
- Jungfraujoch - ‘Top of Europe’ from £76, daily
A ‘must-see’ for all visitors is the ultimate rail journey through the Eiger, and up to Europe’s highest railway station at 3,454m, for breathtaking views including the 14km-long Aletsch glacier and the ‘Ice Palace’.
- ‘James Bond’s’ Schilthorn from £49, daily
A trip up the famous Schilthorn, set of film ‘Her Majesty’s Secret Service’, for fantastic views of the surrounding snow-clad peaks.
Many more options available locally through your Representative including:
Fun Package: First Flyer / Glider & Trottibike / Mountain Cart from Sfr64
Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Car hire is available
Location in resort
- Longitude: 8.0305815
- Latitude: 46.6242006
For more information on travel and transport visit our Grindelwald page