Kandersteg is an attractive alpine village enjoying a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, and surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery in all directions. The main street is lined with inviting cafés and restaurants, and small shops selling local produce. The walking possibilities are excellent, with an abundance of trails around and above the village, from gentle strolls to more strenuous hill-walking. Our hotels in Kandersteg offer you a great choice of accommodation. The Oeschinen cable-car, which is a pleasant 10 minute stroll from the village, whisks visitors up to the glorious scenery of the Oeschinen Lake. Or take the Sunnbüel cable-car, a short bus ride away, for more walking trails and views. Trains in both directions link well-known places such as Interlaken, Lake Thun, Zermatt and the capital of Berne - the possibilities are varied.
Things to do in resort
- Free entrance to 'Blausee' Nature Park with boat trip - visit the beautiful lake, famous for its deep blue water. Please 1½ hour walk from resort or take the bus (approx. £4 return)
- Free weekly guided tour of the village tour and local museum (Tuesday)
Other things to do in and around Kandersteg
- Popular terrace restaurant and rowing boat hire at Lake Oeschinen
- Several festivals take place in July with FREE entrance: Horse show jumping competition with live music (approx. 11 - 14 Jul); ‘Sheep Festival’ at nearby Lake Dauben with traditional music (approx. 26 Jul)
- Outdoor public swimming pool in village centre
- Easy train routes to Interlaken, Berne and Zermatt
- Fortnightly Swiss folklore evenings (Jun-Aug)
- 'Ricola' herb garden located opposite the Waldhotel Doldenhorn used for the famous Swiss sweets
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your half-price card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
Travel card sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a regional travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips:
Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Bernese Oberland Regional Pass (pre-bookable)* - From £125 (3 days), £137 (4 days), £163 (6 days), £185 (8 days), £208 (10 days). For those wanting to travel further afield within the region, this good value pass gives you 3, 4, 6, 8 or 10 consecutive days FREE travel on regional trains, buses and boats, including:
- Trains to Gstaad, Thun, Meiringen and Adelboden
- Brienzer Rothorn and Niesen mountain railways
- Unlimited cruising on Lakes Thun and Brienz
- Mountain transport within the Jungfrau Region
*Family Card not valid with Bernese Oberland Regional Pass. Children up to 16yrs must purchase a 'Bernese Oberland Junior Card' locally (approx. Sfr30 per child).
The Bernese Oberland Regional Pass also entitles you to discount and in some cases free excursions out of the following list: (prices may vary)
For steam train and train lovers. Explore the stunning mountain backdrop and picturesque meadows. Including trains to Wilderswill and Schynige Platte.
Alperlebnis Betelberg Lenk
Relaxing cable car and train journey sandwiched around an unforgettable 1.5h hike.
Hiking Lötschberger Südrampe and Thermal Bath Brigerbad
Experience Switzerland and travel by bus and train. Including an open-air thermal bath with Europe’s longest alpine waterslide. The 1.30h hike takes you past some ideal vantage points with memorable views.
Hiking and Cruise on Lake Thun
Marvel the magnificent mountain views from this romantic waterside location. There is something uniquely relaxing about this cruise.
Village bus is free with guest card
Car hire is available
Location in resort
For more information on travel and transport visit our Kandersteg page