Occupying a stunning position on the banks of Lake Lucerne where the River Reuss meets the lake, Lucerne is a fascinating, colourful city winning the hearts of its many visitors. Small enough to discover on foot, explore the charming streets of the traffic-free ‘old-town’, with its frescoed buildings, delightful cafés, shops and boutiques, or drop by one of the city’s museums. Lake steamers regularly call in at the harbour, carrying guests to pretty lakeside villages such as Weggis and Vitznau, or to the local mountains of Mount Rigi, Stanserhorn and Pilatus Kulm, which all offer a good scope for walking. Our hotels in Lucerne offer a great choice of accommodation.
Things to do in resort
- Lake cruises
- Lake swimming
Lucerne is small enough to discover on foot allowing you to explore the charming streets of the traffic-free "old-town", with its frescoed buildings, delightful cafés, shops and boutiques, or drop by one of the city's museums. A regular fleet of lake steamers call in at the harbour, carrying people on holidays in Lucerne to picturesque lakeside villages such as Weggis and Vitznau, and to Mount Rigi, Bürgenstock, and Pilatus Kulm - reached by the steepest cogwheel railway in the world. There is good scope for walking on many of these local mountains. A free boat ride and city walking tour is included for those on Lucerne holidays who are staying for 7 or more nights.
- Free Panorama Boat Trip - 1 hour boat ride on the lake with commentary
- Free Guided 'Classic Walking Tour' of Lucerne (approx. 2 hours)
Other things to do in and around Lucerne
- Old town with cobbled streets and beautifully decorated facades
- Public lake swimming, casino and cinema
- Several churches with beautiful interiors
- Great shopping plus regular markets
- Swiss Army knife making in nearby Brunnen (approx. Sfr25 per person)
- International Music Festival with some free events (approx 16 Aug - 15 Sep )
- Trips to surrounding peaks including Pilatus, Mount Rigi, Stanserhorn and Bürgenstock
- Many museums including the famous Museum of Transport
- Lucerne Museum Pass available locally (approx. Sfr36 per person)
- ‘Blue Balls’ music festival with some free concerts (approx 19-27 Jul)
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests (Your travel card is sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets)
Save up to 50% with your half-price card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £80!
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips:
Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Tell Regional Pass (pre-bookable)
2 consecutive days, from £135 (2nd class)
5 consecutive days, from £174 (2nd class)
10 consecutive days, from £199 (2nd class)
Individual upgrades to 1st class tickets payable locally.
Discover the region with this great value pass, which gives you unlimited travel on regional boats, buses, trains and cable-cars including:
- Free travel to summits Pilatus Kulm, Rigi Kulm and Stanserhorn for fantastic views, open-top cable-car and walking.
- Free unlimited boat trips around the whole of Lake Lucerne to Weggis, Brunnen, Vitznau, Fluelen and Küssnacht
- Free trains to Meiringen, Engelberg, Zug and Arth-Goldau
- Free trip on the Mount Titlis revolving aerial cable-car
- Free unlimited boat trips on Lake Zug
- Free unlimited use of city buses in Lucerne
- Free trip on Mount Titlis revolving cable-car
- Upgrade to 1st class locally
Car hire is available
Location in resort
For more information on travel and transport visit our Lucerne page