Located in the wild mystical north of Lapland, Saariselkä is an exceptionally friendly uncommercialised resort with a unique frontier atmosphere. With magnificent Arctic wilderness scenery just on the doorstep, it makes an ideal resort for an all-round winter wonderland adventure. The skies are often a deep hue of pink and purple, the pine trees heavily laden with snow, and being so far north there is a good possibility of seeing the Northern Lights too. Here you are deep in Sámi country, the colourful native people of Lapland, many of whom work in the resort and have their own reindeer herds in forests nearby.
Saariselkä is renowned for its excellent cross-country ski trails in the adjoining National Park. With cosy cafes and the charming Panimo Bar for a hot chocolate to live music. For a really memorable experience sleep under the magical night sky in a cosy thermal glass igloo.
Northern Lights Adventure Week: Experience a '7 Night Adventure' at the Muotka Wilderness Lodge or combine with a visit to Saariselkä with our 'Muotka 2-Centre Adventure'.
Did you know that if you book a 7 night holiday to Lapland in December you can also visit Santa in his home?
- Simply pick up and purchase the 'Visit Santa's Home' excursion at the time of booking and the whole family can enjoy a meeting with Santa, feed and pet Santa's reindeer and see how Elf Smith sends presents around the world! Warm up inside with hot drinks and ginger biscuits.
- Every 7 night holiday to Lapland in December includes a festive feast - there's even a small gift and certificate for every child! For even more festive fun, why not indulge in a reindeer sleigh ride or dash through enchanting snow-laden forests on a snowmobile or husky safari!
Drag lifts 4, Chairlifts 1, Cablecars 0
Things to do in resort
Pre-bookable Excursions details and prices:
There are a number of excursions that are eagerly awaiting you and to make the most of your Lapland adventure. Click here to find out more detailed information about each excursion and what they involved, then see below for the duration and price list for Saariselka.
Having the opportunity to stay in a Glass Igloo or Aurora Cabin for a night under the stars and Northern Lights spotting, is high on most people’s bucket list. There are a number of options for you to take, so click here to have a read. From Saariselka you have the chance to stay in either a Glass Igloo or Aurora Cabin, and if you really cannot choose then treat yourself to two memorable nights.
||2 hours (from resort)
|Single (1 adult alone) - Adult: £95
Double (2 sharing)- Adult: £69, Child: £29
|Northern Lights Wilderness Dinner
||3 hour evening excursion (12km scenic drive)
|Reindeer Safari & Sámi Farm visit
||2 hours (1½ hours at farm)
||Adult: £49, Child: £35
|Nellim and Russian Border Patsjoki Bridge
||5-6 hour excursion (1½ hours scenic drive)
(operates with minimum 4 guests)
2½ hours (1½ hours at farm and on safari)
|Snowshoe Safari (daytime or evening)
|Sámi Museum and Inari Village
||5 hour excursion (1 hour scenic drive)
(operates with minimum 6 guests)
|Visit Santa's Home
||3 hour excursion
1 Dec – 29 Dec incl.
|Kakslauttanen Glass Igloo
||Included: choice of evening excursion,
breakfast and 3 course dinner
|Small glass igloo: £404
Kelo-glass igloo: £515
||Continental breakfast included
Notes for all above excursions:Please note that we act at all times as the selling agent for the supplier of these excursions and activities.Times and distances are approximate and may vary due to weather and other conditions.
- Child age for Husky, Reindeer and Snowmobile safaris is 4-12yrs.
- Children 0-3yrs are free (transport must be prebooked) but are not allowed on 10km or 22km Husky or any Snowmobile safaris.
- Snowmobile drivers must be 18yrs+ and bring a full, valid photographic driver's licence with them.
- Children aged 8yrs or above must be at lest 140cm tall to ride as a passenger on a snowmobile. Children under this height or less than 8yrs will be towed in a sled behind the guide.
- Single riders who have purchased a sharing snowmobile may need to upgrade locally to a single driving snowmobile, if a sharing snowmobile is not available.
- The overnight stay can be pre-booked but the exact day of the week will only be confirmed within 3 working days of booking as all reservations are subject to availability.
- Kakslauttanen Glass Igloo child age is 4-11years and Aurora Cabin child age is 4-14years, 0-3 are only free if sleeping in parents bed.
Travel insurance is a condition of booking with us, and you should ensure that your chosen policy covers the activities that you plan to take part in during your holiday. Your policy should provide cover for your own personal and medical expenses, however individual policies will not cover damage to snowmobiles or skidoos and a compulsory excess will be payable directly to the supplier of the snowmobile/skidoo excursion.
Location in resort
- Location Description:
- In a peaceful setting 250m from the village centre.
- The hotel is situated next to the cross-country ski tracks start
- The ski bus stops outside
For more information on travel and transport visit our Saariselka page