- Cycling and mountain biking
Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest and the World War II Centre on the Obersalzberg mountain are popular local excursions. The narrow streets in Berchtesgaden’s pretty pedestrian zone are lined with pastel-coloured listed buildings in alpine style and filled with restaurants, cafés and souvenir shops. The locals are proud to preserve their Bavarian traditions and customs, and showcase typical Bavarian music and dancing at weekly events in the town centre. Beautiful Lake Königssee with its boat excursions, lakeside restaurants and walks is just 15 minutes away by free local bus.
Second the the numerous walking trails, Berchtesgaden is home to miles of bike trails, whether road cycling, designated off road bike routes, or mountain bike oportunities is your thing, this area has it all.
Out & About
- Plenty of shops and cafés
- Lake Königssee (15 minutes by free bus)
- Visit to Salt Mines
- 240 km of marked walking paths
- Miles of road cycling options and mountain biking
- Paragliding, rowing, kayaking, white water rafting & canyoning
- Gorges, canyons and dams
- Summer tobogganing
- Bathing lakes (Hintersee, Thumsee)
- Watzmann Thermal Spa
- Golf course at Obersalzberg
- Castles, churches & monasteries
- Schnapps distillery
- Bus to Salzburg (¾ hr) and Bad Reichenhall (20 minutes)
In Lake Königssee: This stunning emerald green fjord-like lake in the heart of Berchtesgaden National Park is Germany’s cleanest and deepest lake. Surrounded by impressive rock cliffs and Bavaria’s second highest mountain, the Watzmann (2,713m), it is best explored by boat. Board the electric boat in pretty Schönau and listen to the echo of the famous trumpet solo played by the tour guide. Stop off at St. Bartolomä chapel with an optional lunch at a typically Bavarian beer garden. A selection of scenic hikes, varying in difficulty, start at Lake Königssee.
The Eagle’s Nest is a historic viewpoint at the summit of the Kehlstein mountain (1,834m). Once Hitler’s retreat, it now is a restaurant with a spectacular 360º view of the Alps.
The Free Berchtesgaden Resort Card is provided by your hotel upon arrival and gives you:
- Free use of local buses in the Berchtesgadener Land*
- Free guided walks led by the tourist office
Discounted rates for:
- Watzmann Thermal Spa
- Cable-cars (i.e. Obersalzbergbahn, Hirscheckbahn)
- Almbach Gorge
- Plus many more discounts for various attractions and activities in the area
*excluding certain routes (i.e. Kehlstein route, Salzburg, Rossfeld)