Surrounded by some of Europe's highest mountains, the Matterhorn, Dom and Monte Rosa and their dazzling glaciers, Zermatt, Switzerland, is a charming traffic-free village with some amazing walking opportunities, and a network of mountain trains and cable cars that makes access to the higher trails easy. Our hotels in Zermatt offer a great choice of accommodation.
Things to do in resort
- Cable cars
- Horse drawn carriage rides
- Helicopter flights
- Go Karting
The Gornergrat mountain train slowly takes visitors up the mountain, giving wonderful views of the Matterhorn and a breathtaking circular panorama of all the nearby peaks. For a close encounter with the Matterhorn while on Zermatt holidays, take the gondola to Schwarzsee, where there is an inviting restaurant with a sun terrace and a tiny chapel 'Mary of the Snow'- from here you will feel you could almost reach out and touch the mountain! In the village itself, the quaint little streets are full of excellent Zermatt hotels, shops, boutiques, and mouthwatering pastry and chocolate shops.
Other things to do in and around Zermatt
- Zermatt’s daily parade of blackneck goats through the village (Jul-mid Aug)
- Visit one of the many churches and chapels in Zermatt and the surrounding area, including the Anglican Church of St. Peter, its past closely linked to the mountaineering history of Zermatt ‘Matterhorn Museum’ in village centre - get an insight into Zermatt’s history, in which mountaineers played such an important role
- Visit ‘Air Zermatt’ heliport - they perform both rescue and tourist flights
- Zermatt Folklore Festival takes place 11 Aug with FREE folklore entertainment including jodling, dancing, live music and a parade through the village
- Fireworks and traditional music on Swiss National Day, 1 Aug
- Biking and forest fun park for children
- Various folklore evenings and concerts take place in Zermatt and Taesch throughout the summer
- 20km of summer skiing at top of Matterhorn Glacier Paradise (ski lift pass approx. Sfr85 per day)
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your travel card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
Travelcard sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steamboats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips. Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Peak Pass (pre-bookable) from £134 3 days, £179 6 days
The ideal pass for sightseers, walkers and nature lovers, the Peak Pass gives you unlimited FREE trips on the local cable-cars, gondolas and mountains of Zermatt, including:
- Gornergrat (beg May - end Sep)
- Furi (mid May - end Sep)
- Schwarzsee (end Jun - mid Oct)
- Riffelberg (end Jun - mid Aug)
- Matterhorn Glacier Paradise (mid Jun - end Sep)
- Also includes entrance to the Glacier Palace
Available for 3 or 6 consecutive days. Other durations are available locally, children 8 and younger travel for free. Applies to walkers’ lifts only (ski lifts extra). Lift opening times subject to change.
Car hire is available
Location in resort
- Longitude: 7.9218
- Latitude: 46.6072
- Nearest Bus Stop: 300
- Nearest Lift:
- Distance to Lift: 300
- Nearest Station: <p>Zermatt 300m away </p>
- Distance to Station: 300
- Distance to City Centre: 300
For more information on travel and transport visit our Zermatt page