This 10-day self guided multi centre holiday is an excellent overview of Switzerland's special highlights. Designed for those seeking a true taste of this stunning country, including unforgettable experiences on two of the most spectacular panoramic journeys in the world: the ‘Bernina’ and ‘Glacier Express’. Featuring the beautiful lakeside setting of Lake Lucerne, with its pedestrianised Old Town and nearby Mount Pilatus. Experience the world-famous St. Moritz and ride onboard the Glacier Express to the ‘Matterhorn village’ of Zermatt, and then the option to continue on to the dramatic scenery of Grindelwald or Interlaken in the Bernese Oberland.
- See the best of Switzerland's natural beauty on scenic journeys passing lakes, mountains and countryside
- Enjoy a walk of Lucerne's old town and discover its medieval architecture
- Experience one of the most renowned train journeys in the world: the "Bernina Express"
- Ride on the "Glacier Express" to admire breath taking mountain views
- Explore the town of Zermatt and marvel at the Matterhorn
Day 1: From the UK to Lucerne
Arrive at Zurich airport and transfer to the lakeside resort of Lucerne (approx. 1 hour). Check into your hotel.
Day 2: Lucerne
Walking through Lucerne’s quaint Old Town with its traffic-free streets and frescoed buildings and historic monuments including the must-see ‘Chapel Bridge’. In the afternoon, time to discover the region, perhaps take a boat ride on the stunning lake or with the option to visit Birkenstock or the world famous transport museum.
Day 3: Lucerne
A day of leisure or activity, start the day with an optional trip to Mount Rigi with a paddle steamer ride across the lake and rack railway to see the panoramic views from this favourite spot of Queen Victoria. Descend the mountain by cable car to the lakeside town of Weggis.
Day 4: Lucerne to St. Moritz
Leave Lucerne for the stylish resort of St. Moritz. Your trip to St Moritz could be be a day long outing; via stylish Zurich and a boat trip the whole length of Lake Zurich to the town of Rapperswill for lunch. After take mountain trains through the tunnels and over the bridges up to St Moritz, arriving late afternoon.
Day 5: St. Moritz to Tirano
This is a day trip from St. Moritz to Tirano. The Journey down to Tirano will be in 1st class and the return journey will be in 2nd class. There will be time in Tirano to explore and to have an Italian lunch.
Day 6: St. Moritz
A free day to explore St. Moritz’s splendid Engadine countryside and cool off in one of the region’s lakes. Perhaps take a day hike to Corvatsch or Corviglia for inspiring 360° views along a panoramic trail – guests have unlimited use of resort’s mountain transport included.
Day 7: St. Moritz to Zermatt
Depart St Moritz on the famous 'Glacier Express' train on the approx. 8 hours journey to Zermatt. We have reserved a 1st class seat for you and lunch is also included on board.
Day 8: Zermatt
A day to explore Zermatt and really soak up the traditional Swiss ambiance or take the optional excursion on the iconic Gornergrat railway with a walk to see the Matterhorn reflected in mountain lakes.
Day 9: Zermatt
Optional excursion is a gondola ride to the highest lift accessible place in Europe, the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise or a day with the choice to explore independently this beautiful resort and surrounding areas.
Day 10: Zermatt to the UK
Transfer to Zurich airport for your return journey home (approx. 3 hours) or extend your stay and transfer to the Alpine ‘Eiger village’ of Grindelwald in the Bernese Oberland.
If you'd like to extend your stay, please call us. There are options to stay extra nights in Zermatt or add on additional nights in Grindelwald or Interlaken.
- Return flights from the UK
- Discount travel card worth over £100
- 9 nights half board in 4-star hotels; all rooms with private facilities
- Full day excursion on the spectacular Bernina Express train from St. Moritz to Tirano
- Full day excursion on the famous Glacier Express train from St. Moritz to Zermatt with 3 courses lunch included
- 1st class rail transfers throughout (change of trains required)
- Services of Inghams representative in some resorts or by the telephone
- Walking opportunities in St. Moritz with free unlimited use of lifts
Your holiday excludes:
- All excursions marked optional are payable locally
- Gornergrat Rack Railway excursion (approx CHF 43 per person)
- Matterhorn Glacier Paradise (approx. CHF 50 per person)
- Any extras, drinks, gratuities and personal expenses
★★★★ Romantik Hotel Wilden Mann, Lucerne (3 nights)
A charming, comfortable hotel located right in the heart of Lucerne's beautiful historic old town. Dating back to 1860, the hotel has many original features and the rooms are individually-styled to give a traditional charm and boutique feel. The railway station and harbour for excursions are only 8 minutes' walk away.
★★★★ Hotel Monopol, St. Moritz (3 nights)
This welcoming hotel has a relaxed atmosphere and boasts fabulous views over the resort. It enjoys a convenient central location close to the amenities and just a short walk from the Corviglia funicular. A little oasis of luxury with 73 spacious rooms, a rooftop spa and outstanding service. Restaurant Mono offers Italian-Mediterranean cuisine.
★★★★+ Le Mirabeau Hotel & Spa Zermatt (3 nights)
Fantastic location just 5 minutes' walk to Zermatt's main street and to the Sunnegga lift for access to the hiking area. Guests here can marvel at some of the best views towards the Matterhorn from it's floor to ceiling windows in the restaurant. Rooms are well-furnished and have a bath, bathrobes and slippers, satellite TV, minibar, telephone, hairdryer, radio and safe and Wi-Fi.
Departures on any day except Tuesdays
- Please ring Inghams reservations 01483 791 111 for prices
- Extra nights - Optional add on extra nights in Zermatt, Grindelwald or Interlaken with a choice of hotels
The itineraries may be subject to change. Where this becomes necessary, and where practicable, we will take the steps as outlined in clause 5 of our terms and conditions.