Experience the best of Switzerland on this 10-day multi centre holiday, designed to give you a true taste of this stunning country, including unforgettable experiences on two of the most spectacular panoramic journeys in the world: the Bernina and Glacier Express scenic trains. Discover the beautiful lakeside setting of Lucerne, with its pedestrianised Old Town and nearby Mount Pilatus. Experience the world-famous St. Moritz, enjoy a day aboard the incredible Bernina Express and ride the Glacier Express panoramic train to the ‘Matterhorn village’ of Zermatt.
- Spend a day on the remarkable Bernina Express scenic train from St Moritz to Tirano (included)
- Enjoy a fairy tale scenic train ride across Southern Switzerland on the Glacier Express on your way from St. Moritz to Zermatt (included)
- Inghams representatives are on hand throughout your trip either in resort or by telephone, to help you make the most of your stay
- A choice of accommodation in Lucerne and Zermatt to personalise the trip to suit you
Exciting optional extras include:
- Discover the best of Lucerne, with its picturesque lakeside location, the Chapel Bridge, historic old town and fantastic views from the top of Mount Pilatus
- Explore some fantastic Engadine countryside surrounding St Moritz, with lots of stunning walking opportunities
- In Zermatt, take the Gornergrat cog railway for the best views of the famous Matterhorn or visit the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, with ice palace, spectacular observation deck and the new Matterhorn Alpine Crossing which connects Zermatt to Cervinia in Italy
Swiss Classic Tour trips are nine nights, and depart on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays from mid-June to the beginning of September.
Day 1: Arrival
Arrive at Zurich airport on your chosen flight from the UK, and transfer by train to the lakeside city of Lucerne (approx. 1 hour). Check into your hotel and if you have time, head out to explore or relax in the hotel.
Day 2 and 3: Explore Lucerne
Lucerne is a beautiful and historic city on the shores of Lake Lucerne, and is a great base for exploring the area. Stroll through the Old Town or along the lakeside, take a lunchtime boat cruise and discover picturesque villages dotted around the lake, or head out on one of the many scenic walks.
Our top tips for your time in Lucerne:
Discover Mount Pilatus, which rises high behind Lucerne, with staggering views. It’s a mountain for families, walkers, adventure lovers and foodies, and is perfect for an exciting day out. Our favourite walk, is the flower trail at the Pilatus Kulm – the views from up here are spectacular and you can spot lots of wild flower varieties along the way.
Take a paddle steamer over to Weggis and explore this pretty lakeside village, or head up Mount Rigi – nicknamed Queen of the Mountains. There’s 120 kilometres of walking routes on Mount Rigi, but our favourite is the Rigi Panorama Path where you can enjoy the most amazing views. You don’t have to walk far to appreciate the views though, and it’s a lovely round trip to go up Rigi from Weggis and then down into Vitznau to get the boat back to Lucerne from there.
Spend some time wandering the narrow streets of Lucerne’s Old Town, where you’ll find frescoed old buildings and impressive architecture. There’s a culture of dining alfresco around the river by the Chapel Bridge, and it’s a particularly nice spot to enjoy a classic Swiss fondue.
Day 4: Lucerne to St Moritz
Leave Lucerne for the stylish resort of St. Moritz. Your set train journey to St. Moritz will take you through the tunnels and over the bridges up to St Moritz, arriving in the afternoon.
Day 5: Bernina Express day excursion
Experience one of Switzerland's most famous scenic train journeys on this stunning trip from St. Moritz to Tirano on the Bernina Express (included in your holiday price). The journey down to Tirano will be in 1st class and the return journey will be in 2nd class. There will be some free time in Tirano for coffee, ice cream or a snack before making your way back.
Day 6: Explore St. Moritz
The world famous town of St. Moritz is in the Engadine region of Switzerland, with beautiful scenery and lots of walking opportunities. Here you get unlimited use of St. Moritz’s mountain transport thanks to your guest card from the hotel, so exploring the area is easy.
Our top tips for your time in St. Moritz:
Take a day hike to Corvatsch or Corviglis for inspiring 360° views along a panoramic trail, or take a leisurely stroll around the lake and stop for coffee on route.
Cool off in one of the regions glistening mountain lakes or hire a stand-up paddleboard, canoe or kayak and enjoy some peace and tranquillity on the water. If the wind is good, the lakes are popular for windsurfing and sailing, too.
Try out the St. Moritz Sky Bar which is a rooftop bar and terrace with fantastic views over the lakes and mountains of the St. Moritz area – a great place to enjoy a relaxing drink.
Day 7: Glacier Express
Depart St. Moritz on the famous Glacier Express panoramic train on your journey to Zermatt – have your camera handy because the views along the route are stunning. The journey is around eight hours, and we have reserved a 1st class seat for you. A lunch or lunch box is also included on board (not all services have the same catering). Some Glacier Express trains start in Chur which is around two hours from St. Moritz, meaning the first part of your journey may be by standard train, followed by the Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt).
Day 8 and 9: Explore Zermatt
The charming town of Zermatt is a delight to explore, with rustic chalet style buildings and car-free streets. There’s nearly 400 kilometres of marked routes in Zermatt’s huge walking area, opened up by multiple mountain lifts, meaning you can enjoy the best views of the famous Matterhorn and surrounding mountains and glaciers with ease.
Our top tips for your time in Zermatt:
For the best views of the Matterhorn, a trip up the historic Gornergrat railway is a must. Not far from the top of the lift is the Riffelsee where you can get the ultimate mirror reflection of the Matterhorn on a calm day. There’s plenty of lovely walking options up here too.
Head up high to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, where you can visit the ice palace, enjoy spectacular views and take a trip on the new Matterhorn Alpine Crossing over into Italy.
There’s lots of adventurous activities in Zermatt too – hire a mountain bike for the day and explore on two wheels, or try some via feratta.
If you’re in Zermatt over a Monday or a Friday, why not join one of our Inghams guided walks? Explore some of Zermatt’s best scenery in the company of other Inghams guests and a professional local guide – and the best bit is, there’s no extra cost to join – add the walk to your holiday at the time of booking.
Visit Europe’s highest alpine garden at 2,800 metres altitude. The Alpine Garden is being built on the Gornergrat, directly below the Rotenboden station, in the summer of 2023 and will display 150 species of plants.
Day 9: Departure
Transfer to Zurich or Geneva Airport (around three hours and 45 minutes) for your chosen return journey home.
Please note: This is an independent rail holiday and you are free to choose your own itinerary in each destination. The above contains recommendations which are provided for information only and are not included in the price of your holiday. An Inghams Representative will be on hand locally either in resort or by telephone and will provide advice and offer optional excursions and walking passes.
- Return flights from UK
- Swiss Half Fare Card - worth over £100 – included as part of your rail tickets
- 1st class rail transfers from Zurich or Geneva Airport to Lucerne, Lucerne to St. Moritz, St. Moritz to Zermatt (Glacier Express) and Zermatt to Zurich or Geneva Airport (some changes of train required)
- An excursion on the spectacular Bernina Express scenic train from St. Moritz to Tirano with seat reservations* - 1st class on the way there and 2nd class on the way back (the Bernina train line is shared between standard trains and panoramic trains with slightly larger windows, with various departure times throughout the day of each train type – your outward journey will be by panoramic train but due to demand, the return journey may be by standard train)
- Full day excursion on the famous Glacier Express train with seat reservation* as you journey from St Moritz to Zermatt. Lunch or a lunch box is included (catering service varies by train service) (some Glacier Express services start in Chur so the first part of your journey may be by standard train, followed by Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt)
- Free use of the mountain transport in St. Moritz included with your guest card from the hotel
- Services of Inghams Representatives
- Nine nights’ accommodation with a variety of hotels available in Lucerne and Zermatt (board basis of each hotel advised at the time of booking). All rooms have private facilities.
*Please note that we will organise seat reservations for you on the Bernina and Glacier Express but while we will try our very best to arrange seats together, due to huge demand on the services, we can’t guarantee this.
Your holiday excludes:
- Any suggestions of things to do made in the itinerary – these are provided for information only
- Upgrade to Excellence Class on the Glacier Express is available on request, at extra cost (price will be advised at the time of booking)
- Luggage transport – luggage is taken with you on the train transfers
- Any extras, drinks, gratuities and personal expenses
In Lucerne and Zermatt, you can choose from a variety of hotel options, but here's our recommendation:
★★★★ Romantik Hotel Wilden Mann, Lucerne (3 nights)
A charming, comfortable hotel located right in the heart of Lucerne's beautiful historic old town. Dating back to 1860, the hotel has many original features and the rooms are individually-styled to give a traditional charm and boutique feel. The railway station and harbour for excursions are only 8 minutes' walk away.
★★★★ Hotel Monopol, St. Moritz (3 nights)
This welcoming hotel has a relaxed atmosphere and boasts fabulous views over the resort. It enjoys a convenient central location close to the amenities and just a short walk from the Corviglia funicular. A little oasis of luxury with 73 spacious rooms, a rooftop spa and outstanding service. Restaurant Mono offers Italian-Mediterranean cuisine.
★★★★+ Le Mirabeau Hotel & Spa Zermatt (3 nights)
Fantastic location just 5 minutes' walk to Zermatt's main street and to the Sunnegga lift for access to the hiking area. Guests here can marvel at some of the best views towards the Matterhorn from it's floor to ceiling windows in the restaurant. Rooms are well-furnished and have a bath, bathrobes and slippers, satellite TV, minibar, telephone, hairdryer, radio and safe and Wi-Fi.
How to book
Please call our reservations team for prices and booking.
Departures are on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays from mid-June to the start of September.
Trips are nine nights, with three nights in Lucerne, three nights in St. Moritz and three nights in Zermatt.
Places are limited and cannot be guaranteed. Special diets, including vegetarian, cannot be catered for.
The itineraries may be subject to change. Where this becomes necessary, and where practicable, we will take the steps as outlined in clause 5 of our terms and conditions.