The picturesque villages of Weggis and Vitznau are located right on the shores of Lake Lucerne, only 15 minutes apart by lake steamer and approx. 40 minutes by boat from the city of Lucerne. This is a beautiful region, steeped in history and romance - the legend of ‘William Tell’ and other colourful stories unfold in this corner of the world. Both villages have lovely flower-lined lakeside promenades with cafés and restaurants in which to enjoy beautiful evening sunsets. Take a paddle steamer to the lakeside destination of your choice, or just enjoy cruising and lunching on board.
Things to do in resort
- Lake cruises
- Cable cars
Free concerts are given on the Weggis promenade most days, and there is a programme of guided walks and excursions. Another must is a ride up the Rigi mountain by cable-car from Weggis or cog-wheel railway from Vitznau.
Other things to do in and around Lake Lucerne
- Welcome drink and regular concerts at Weggis lakeside pavilion
- Weekly ‘cultural walk’ in Weggis (usually Mondays)
- Welcome drink and weekly concerts at Vitznau pavilion
- Vist the glassmaker’s showroom in Hergiswil, near Lucerne
- Visit Lucerne for its famous old town, landmarks, museums and shops
- ‘Heirassa’ folk music festival
- ‘Rose Festival’ in Weggis with flower and food markets, live music and firework display
- Go down to the lakeside towards evening for its fabulous sunsets
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests (Your travel card is sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets)
Save up to 50% with your half-price card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £80!
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Free Excursions* & Inghams Plus
- Free Panorama Boat Trip - 1 hour boat ride on the lake with commentary
- Free Guided 'Classic Walking Tour' of Lucerne (approx. 2 hours)
*Free excursions are available to guests staying 7 nights or more. Free excursions start in Lucerne - guests must pay locally for boat to Lucerne.
Great Value Travel Passes
Purchase a travel pass and only pay one inclusive price for your trips:
Prices shown include Travel Card discount.
Tell Regional Pass (pre-bookable)
2 consecutive days, from £135 (2nd class)
5 consecutive days, from £174 (2nd class)
10 consecutive days, from £199 (2nd class)
Individual upgrades to 1st class tickets payable locally.
Discover the region with this great value pass, which gives you unlimited travel on regional boats, buses, trains and cable-cars including:
- Free travel to summits Pilatus Kulm, Rigi Kulm and Stanserhorn for fantastic views, open-top cable-car and walking.
- Free unlimited boat trips around the whole of Lake Lucerne to Weggis, Brunnen, Vitznau, Fluelen and Küssnacht
- Free trains to Meiringen, Engelberg, Zug and Arth-Goldau
- Free trip on the Mount Titlis revolving aerial cable-car
- Free unlimited boat trips on Lake Zug
- Free unlimited use of city buses in Lucerne
- Free trip on Mount Titlis revolving cable-car
- Upgrade to 1st class locally
Don't miss these recommended trips...
1st class day ticket on Lake Lucerne from £45, daily
Spend the day cruising the lake, getting on and off as you please. Discover towns such as Flülen and Altdorf, ‘birthplace’ of William Tell.
‘Mount Rigi Roundtrip’ from £33, daily
Mount Rigi is known as the ‘Queen of the Mountains’. Take the cogwheel railway from Vitznau, and return by cable car to Weggis (or vice versa). Return boat journey between Vitznau and Weggis included.
Pilatus Golden Round trip from £47
Many more options available locally through your Representative.
Car hire is available
Location in resort
- Longitude: 8.419807
- Latitude: 47.029799
- Location Description:
- Lakeside location
- 15 minutes walk from Weggis centre
- Distance to City Centre: 1300
For more information on travel and transport visit our Weggis page