- Cable cars
- Walking and hiking
- Lake boat trips
- Botanical garden
- E-bike hire
For those staying in Ascona hotels, there are lots of activities and excursions to keep you busy. Among its major attractions are a lovely lake promenade lined with flowers and palm trees, luxuriant sub-tropical parks and gardens, access to wonderful wild valleys such as Valle Verzasca and the Centovalli - famous for its dramatic rail routes - and the ambient 'Piazza Grande' famous for its frequent concerts and other events. Boat rides can be taken to the Islands of Brissago in Switzerland, or the Borromean Islands and Stresa in Italy. A free return trip up Cardada is included for guests on holidays in Ascona who stay 7 or more nights.
In and around Ascona
- Madonna del Sasso church, with fantastic views over the town, lake and mountains
- Botanical gardens of Brissago islands with wide selection of flora
- Day trips on Lake Maggiore for the Borromean islands and their gardens with fantastic exotic and tropical plants
- Basilica of San pietro e Paolo in Borgo old town with art museum
- 'Lido Locarno’ public lido with swimming pools and thermal pool
- 6 & 9 hole golf courses, plus 18-hole course in nearby Ascona & Losone
- 'Moon and Stars’ music festival (approx 9-19 Jul)
- 'JazzAscona’ music festival (approx 20-29 Jun)
- Locarno film festival (approx 7-17 Aug)
- Folk festival takes place throughout June
- Ascona Polo Cup takes place in July
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your discount travel card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
NB. Discount card is not valid on Lake Maggiore
Travel card sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Evening resort bus service available
Easy There are many scenic walks in and around Locarno and Ascona, which area a pleasant 1-hour stroll apart along the lakeside. Explore the alleyways and quaint corners, full of cafes, art galleries and craft shops. Locarno has a strong relationship with flowers, with the beautiful Camelias in particular attracting many visitors in spring. For flower lovers, a visit to the Brissago islands is a must. The climate allows over 1600 species of plants to flourish here, many of which are unique to Switzerland
Moderate The Cardada, reached by funicular and cable-car from Locarno centre also offers several varied mountain short walks and more challenging hikes all with breathtaking views of Lake Maggiore.
Slightly challenging Hikers can head into the hills of the Verzasca Valley for typical Ticino scenery and cooler air. Here you can see the Contra Dam, the setting of the famous scene in the James Bond fil Goldeneye. Continue the journey to Lavertezzo on one of the signposted walks through the small picturesque villages.