Saalbach Hinterglemm is home to Austria's largest dedicated mountain biking area, with 400km of marked trails suitable for all abilities, as well as guided cycle tours. The 'Saalbach Hinterglemm Joker Card' gives free use of all cable cars and walkers' buses in the valley, plus guided walks and free entrances to various attractions, making it easy to explore on holidays in Saalbach and Hinterglemm. Both villages have attractive pedestrianised centres with a good choice of shops, cafés and restaurants which can be accessed with ease from Saalbach and Hinterglemm hotels.
Resort 'Joker' Card - Free to all guests
The excellent value Saalbach & Hinterglemm "Joker Card" is given to you on arrival by your hotel from 25th May 2019 and includes:
- Free use of all lifts in the valley*
- Free use of the walkers’ buses
- Free guided walks (up to 10 per week, ankle-high boots required)
- Free entrance to the outdoor pool in Saalbach
- Free use of the tennis courts, mini golf, bike park
- Free use of the sightseeing train at the end of the valley
- Free or discounted rates on many other local attractions.
The Joker card has been extended for Summer 2019 covering all use of trains and buses (SVV lines and OBB trains) in the Pinzgau region free of charge - Visit Zell am See, Taxenbach Gorge, Krimml Waterfalls and much more!
*Once daily use of the Asitz and Steinbergbahn gondolas in Leogang,
Other things to do in and around Saalbach and Hinterglemm
- Good selection of shops & cafés in each village
- 400km of marked paths
- E-Bike hire
- Guided bike tours
- Cycling, mountain biking and 3 bike parks
- Three children’s adventure playgrounds and mystery paths
- Outdoor pool
- Horse riding
- 9 hole golf course
- Austrian skittles
- High rope course
- Folk & ski museum
- Crystal museum
- Tourist train
- Birds of Prey displays
- Zell am See (40mins by bus)
Family Summer holidays
In Saalbach Hinterglemm, families always come first, as family time is precious. Fun and excitement are the most important factors to make sure that the children have a great time. It is healthy to get bored from time to time, but please not on holiday!
- The Montelino’s Adventure Path (From the mountain peak to Kohlmais lift middle station you pass through the woods and over meadows, where various activity stations are). Montelino’s Water Playground is located at the end of Montelino’s adventure trail.
- The Montelino’s Peak Playground (The children’s playground at the top of Zwölferkogel mountain makes all children hearts beat faster. Enjoy the panoramic views over Saalbach Hinterglemm while your children explore the playground and test their climbing skills.) (Closed Summer 2019)
- The Jump & Slide Park is surrounded by an impressive mountain panorama at Saalbach river’s source, it has an eight-meter high jump tower, a trampoline area and a freestyle ramp (kicker) for a fun day out for all the family.
Festivals and Events
There is a full programme of events throughout the summer including village brass band concerts, torchlit walks, live music at various mountain alms, and regular evening entertainment with food stalls, traditional music and dancing.
Car hire is available
Local bus service is available
The mountains and valleys around Saalbach and Hinterglemm are a walker’s paradise with an extensive network of over 400km of marked paths and 4 cable-cars to enable nature lovers and hikers to explore the area with ease. Walks can be extended or shortened to suitability, from panoramic trails at the top of lift stations to longer ridge walks and extensive day hikes throughout the valley. Dotted all around are rustic mountain alms with stunning unspoiled views, making this area a joy to explore.
Popular Walks include:
Pinzgauer Ridgeway 6 hrs (Slightly challenging)
A wonderful panoramic hiking trail from the top of the Schattberg gondola all the way across the top of the mountains to the Schmittenhöhe gondola above Zell am See. Fantastic views. Take the lift down and return by bus. A good level of fitness is required.
Alpine Herbal Garden Trail (2½ hrs) Easy
A scenic loop walk from the top of the Reiterkogel lift, through forested paths to the Alpine Herbal Garden trail, stopping at the Reiteralm for lunch.
Kohlmais Panorama 3½ hrs (Moderate)
For stunning views take the Kohlmais lift up and walk along the Saalachtaler Höhenweg to the Schönleitenhütte for lunch, and back through woodland to the top station
Free Guided Walks
The Saalbach Hinterglemm Tourist office runs an extensive programme of guided walks each week free with the Joker Card, which explore the full length of the valley. Up to 7 walks per week are provided and a hiking badge is on offer for completion of the week depending on how many points you collect. Suitable supportive footwear and a good level of fitness is required.
Lift and cable-car approx. opening times 2019
The opening dates of summer lifts vary in resort. Please find the latest update for the summer:
Reiterkogel cable car – open from approx 7 to 10 June, 15 to 16 June, 20 June to 27 October 2019
Kohlmais cable car - open from approx 30 May to 6 October 2019
Schattberg X-press - open from approx 14 June to 29 September 2019
Westgipfel cable car* - open from approx 24 May to 14 June 2019 to mid station, 15 June to 29 September 2019 to the top station
* Substitute cable car for the Zwölferkogel cable car, which will be rebuilt in 2019.
Local Walking Map
Plan your walking in advance, purchase a map of the local area for just £6.95. Must be ordered at time of booking.