A UNESCO listed site, the Cinque Terre is home to some of Italy's best culinary delights, historic landmarks and unrivaled views of the coast and surrounding islands. This short break self-guided tour allows you to immerse yourself in Ligurian life at your own pace.
|To book this Cinque Terre Self Guided Tour, please call our reservations team on 01483 791 111|
Day 1: On arrival at the airport, you’ll transfer to the beautiful town of Monterosso al Mare in La Spezia. Having checked into your hotel in heart of the Cinque Terre, the afternoon is yours to explore this spectacular town. We suggest a visit to the Caupuchin Monastery which overs not only an immersive experience in the history of the town and the monks who are still to this day a great influence on the community but also unrivalled views of the bay of Monterosso. The nearby Oratorio dei Neri is also worth stopping by with its majestic architecture, stained glass windows and hand crafted murals.
Day 2: After a hearty breakfast, you will depart by train from Monterosso to Riomaggiore, the first of the ‘Cinque Terre’ villages north of La Spezia. A small but bustling village comprised of tall and colourful houses, Riomaggiore rests on a working fishing harbour and is home to a plethora of wonderful restaurants and cafes offering local wares. Perfect for a spot of lunch before taking the train further on to Manarola, a smaller frazione of Riomaggiore and one of the smallest villages of the Cinque Terre. Be sure to stop and sample the local wine known as Sciacchetrà which is a sweet wine specific to this region. From here you will then take the train onto Vernazza. Perched high on the north-west coast, Vernazza is one of the most picturesque villages in the Cinque Terre and with its rugged trails, a wonderful opportunity for keen walkers. Path number 2 will take you through to Monterosso in around 2 hours and offers incredible views of the coast below and the vineyards high on the cliff tops. Wine tastings are available locally and the perfect way to end the day with a cool glass of Sciacchetrà and local antipasti.
Day 3: Another opportunity to explore awe-inspiring Cinque Terre. Following breakfast, you’ll take the boat along the Cinque Terre coast and arrive in Portovenere, a medieval fishing village and UNESCO World Heritage Site. The picturesque harbour on which the town rests is lined with brightly coloured houses, and narrow, cobbled lanes which lead from the ancient city gates right up to the castle and famous San Pietro church. From here, you will have exquisite views out to Island Palmaria which is home to crystalline waters and verdant forests. Returning to Monterosso by boat, you’ll be able to stop off at other Cinque Terre villages and explore them at your own pace before enjoying a sumptuous dinner of typical Ligurian cuisine and your last overnight stay in your hotel/
Day 4: After breakfast, enjoy the sites and immerse yourself in the beauty of Monterosso one last time before your transfer back for your flight home.
2019 Departure dates & prices
- Any day departure (subject to availability)
- Prices from £605.00 per person based on 3* accommodation
- 3 nights on bed and breakfast basis at either Hotel Palme or Hotel Porto Roca both centrally located.
- Cinque Terre rail card, entry tickets for the Cinque Terre National Park and boat transfers to Rapallo and Portofino
- Information material and detailed maps of the area
- A wine tasting experience
- A local dinner of typical Ligurian cuisine - please note drinks are not included
- Hotel Palme is wonderfully located just a 2 minute stroll from the sandy beaches of Monterosso. Set in verdant, palm tree lined gardens, this 4* property offers rooms with air conditioning, satellite TV and complimentary toiletries. A varied continental breakfast is served each morning. Single rooms are available at a supplement.
- Hotel Porto Roca boasts a cliff top location with some of the most enviable views of Monterosso. A small but elegant former villa, this 4* property offers rooms with a classic decor, air conditioning and satellite TV. Single rooms are available at a supplement.
|To book this Trekking tour of the Cinque Terre, please call our reservations team on 01483 791 111|