Lou’s guide to romance on the slopes for Valentine’s Day…
1. Cuddles in a chairlift – Take every opportunity to keep warm between ski runs. Snuggle up together in a heated, yes, heated, chairlift. Our tip is Hinterglemm, Austria. Ride to the peak of the Reiterkogel Mountain in a chairlift with heated seats. Then head onto the prettily wooded slopes and enjoy.
2. Love heart in Lech -In Lech you’ll spot a huge love heart, perfectly formed in flowers, at the foot of the slopes. It’s outside the Rud-Alpe restaurant just above, and easily seen from, Lech’s town centre. The perfect place to propose, if you’re in the mood!
3. Hot Tub Heaven – After a day on the slopes, grab a quiet moment for two in the hot tub at Étoile des Neiges, our comfortable chalet in Méribel. The views are quite spectacular. Follow that with a delicious meal, served by our chalet hosts, with as much wine as you like.
4. Double massage booths – Also in Méribel (well, the French do romance so well), the 5* Hotel Kaila offers double massage booths for the ultimate in relaxing and romantic pampering. This is a new, luxury hotel, in the very heart of the resort, and is perfect choice for romantics.
5. In the Pink! – In the Dolomites you have to learn to ski and enjoy the scenery all at the same time. Why not ski the Sella Ronda one day, and stop off to enjoy the stunning pink cliffs which dominate the region. Take a few photos and upload to face book, using our free wifi in chalets and Chalet Hotels.
6. Fondue Heaven – What could be more romantic than sharing a huge fondue pot of cheese, and dunking chunks of meat, bread and veg to your heart’s content? Choose the Hotel Bernerhof in Wengen for a fondue feast. Then chill out in the cosy bar.
7. Learn-to-ski Together in Royal Style – Head to Lake Louise for perfect private lessons with excellent instruction on the slopes of Alberta. For true romance, follow Kate and William to Skoki Lodge for the night. To reach it, snowshoe through stunning scenery, past frozen rivers and mountain passes. It’s a treat fit for a king and queen!
8. On Top of Europe – Choose Mürren, Switzerland if you want to venture up Jungfraujoch. At 3454 metres this is Europe’s highest altitude railway station and the highlight of every visit to Switzerland. It offers visitors a vista of ice, snow and rock, which can be appreciated from terraces, the Aletsch Glacier or in the Ice Palace. From the Hotel Eiger, take out a sled and cruise around the winter wonderland.
9. Diamonds are forever – If you want to try some double black diamond runs, then you could do worse than to head out to Colorado, and try the über-steep blacks down Peak 9. Their names could entice you, or frighten you: Hades, Inferno, Satan’s and Devil’s Crotch!
10. Snuggle by the open fire – Many, many of our properties have open fires for maximum cosiness! You could try the Chalet Chardonnet in Tignes, the Sport Hotel Arabba or the Hotel Piccolo in Selva. In Lapland you’ll find open fires where you’re encouraged to cook your own sausages, and keep warm between ski runs! There’s a handy one near the nursery slope in Levi, perfect for parents waiting for youngsters to finish their lessons.
11. Hold hands – and ski at night – Head for Obergurgl and Hochgurgl, at the end of the Ötz Valley and enjoy night skiing with your loved one. Wrap up warm, ski carefully, and look forward to a warming whisky or hot chocolate on your arrival back at base.