Dominated by the Madonna del Sasso church, which is reached by funicular from the town centre, Locarno has a lovely lakeside promenade, where colourful flora flourishes in the warm climate, and a medieval old town full of little shops and cafés. Our hotels in Locarno offer you a great choice of accommodation. The impressive ‘Piazza Grande’ is famous for its frequent concerts and other events. Visit the unspoilt nature of the valley of Verzasca or head into the hills by cable-car to enjoy the cool air and super panoramic views, or take a boat ride on the lake to Italy.
Things to do in resort
- Cable cars
- Walking and hiking
- Lake boat trips
- Botanical garden
- E-bike hire
For those staying in Locarno hotels, there are lots of activities and excursions to keep you busy. Among its major attractions are a lovely lake promenade lined with flowers and palm trees, luxuriant sub-tropical parks and gardens, access to wonderful wild valleys such as Valle Verzasca and the Centovalli - famous for its dramatic rail routes - and the ambient 'Piazza Grande' famous for its frequent concerts and other events. Boat rides can be taken to the Islands of Brissago in Switzerland, or the Borromean Islands and Stresa in Italy. A free return trip up Cardada is included for guests on holidays in Ascona who stay 7 or more nights.
In and around Locarno
- Madonna del Sasso church, with fantastic views over the town, lake and mountains
- Botanical gardens of Brissago islands with wide selection of flora
- Day trips on Lake Maggiore for the Borromean islands and their gardens with fantastic exotic and tropical plants
- Basilica of San pietro e Paolo in Borgo old town with art museum
- 'Lido Locarno’ public lido with swimming pools and thermal pool
- 6 & 9 hole golf courses, plus 18-hole course in nearby Ascona & Losone
- 'Moon and Stars’ music festival (approx 9-19 Jul)
- 'JazzAscona’ music festival (approx 20-29 Jun)
- Locarno film festival (approx 7-17 Aug)
- Folk festival takes place throughout June
- Ascona Polo Cup takes place in July
Discount Travel Card included for all Inghams guests
Save up to 50% with your half-price travel card on trips of your choice across the Swiss transport network. Included in the price of your holiday, and worth over £100!
NB. Discount card is not valid on Lake Maggiore
Travel card sent to you before departure with your rail transfer tickets.
Exploring on the Swiss Transport Network
Switzerland's excellent public transport network of mountain railways, cable-cars, steam boats and buses makes it a pleasure to explore the sights, at your own pace.
Evening bus service available
Car hire available
Location in resort
For more information on travel and transport visit our Locarno page